Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine recommendations for a beginner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-recommendations-beginner-t223742.html)

ktarsha 06-15-2013 10:21 AM

machine recommendations for a beginner

My 7-year-old son has recently become interested in sewing. Yay! But I don't want him using my nice Janome to learn on; he's already broken a needle playing with different stitches when I stepped out of the room. Plus, if he's using it, then I can't! So I need recommendations for a good-quality but inexpensive machine for him to use while he's learning. (I'm kicking myself for selling my old Singer several years ago; it would have been perfect. Oh well....)

Knitette 06-15-2013 10:35 AM

If you can get him a used Janome - Craig's List perhaps - then all your feet and bobbins would fit. Plus you would have a back-up for yourself :)

dellareya 06-15-2013 10:40 AM

My 6 and 4 year old grandsons use my Featherweight named Sherry. They think it is the perfect size for them. Very easy for them to sew on. I don't want them using my good machine, I don't even want them to use my traveling Janome. I love my grandchildren, but my machines are off limits.

MartiMorga 06-15-2013 10:46 AM

Isn't dellareya funny? Anyway, I think I would be watching garage sales and the want ads. There are so many out there for sale. We have one in the cabinet asked $50, no one would buy it. One guy offered $25 for the cabinet, but didn't want the machine. Good luck~

MadQuilter 06-15-2013 11:12 AM

If you are both already used to the Janome, why not stick with that brand? I'm sure they have some starter machines with the features he requires. AND KUDOS to you for teaching him and 2 thumbs up for your son for wanting to sew/quilt.

mom-6 06-15-2013 01:10 PM

I'm planning on letting DGS learn on my treadle machine as soon as I get a bobbin case and bobbins for it. Figure that will serve two purposes - outlet for all that kiddo energy as well as leave me my Featherweight which is my favorite machine ever.

Dolphyngyrl 06-15-2013 01:18 PM

cheapie brothers get my votes for beginners. its what I learned on and sewed on for 15 years before my TOL brothers. Very easy to learn on your own

Luv Quilts and Cats 06-15-2013 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette (Post 6123848)
If you can get him a used Janome - Craig's List perhaps - then all your feet and bobbins would fit. Plus you would have a back-up for yourself :)

This sounds like a great idea. Maybe you can check you local Janome dealer to see if they sell used ones.

Stitchnripper 06-15-2013 02:47 PM

I also recommend a cheap Brother. Three of mine at various locations all work great. No issues with any kind of thread. Very forgiving.

ktarsha 06-17-2013 12:50 PM

Thanks for the input! I found a new cheapie Brother on Craigslist - a bit of a drive, but the price is right. Going to pick it up tomorrow. I thought about another Janome, but all the ones I found were more than I wanted to spend right now.