Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   machine recommendations? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-recommendations-t297860.html)

Watson 06-27-2018 04:28 AM

With your budget, you may be able to find a used mid arm. Then you could quilt to your heart's content and keep your other machine for piecing.

Watson

ktarsha 06-27-2018 05:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions! Juki, Janome, and Brother are high on my list of potentials for a new machine. I will keep researching, but I'm starting to think my purchase might have to wait until the kids are back in school and I have time to visit the local shops to try out different machines. No matter what I end up with, I'll be keeping one of my other machines for piecing and general quilting - I might even keep both, and use the smaller one as my portable class/travel machine.

franklindixie 06-27-2018 06:45 PM

The new Janome 6700 is pure heaven! Affordable, complete & awesome. Love love love this machine. Call your local dealer

Feathers-N-Fur 06-28-2018 12:15 AM

I vote for getting a sit down machine. Keep you current machine for piecing and have ample space for quilting on a sit down mid arm machine.

lindaschipper 06-28-2018 03:36 AM

I have three Janome machines and wouldn't trade them for anything. I put the 1600P straight stitch only on a Grace Sr-2 frame, so I use it to mid-arm quilt. My MC6500P is my piecing machine....has more stitches than I will ever use. and I have my old stand by a Janome Harmony that was made for Sears many many years ago. If I were to get yet another machine I'd go with Janome again. Price was right, easy to maintain, sews wonderfully.

FoxyLady 06-28-2018 04:02 PM

I bought a Janome 9400 about 9 months ago. A bit pricey, but within your budget range if you find a dealer with a good sale going on. I love this machine. Can't say enough good things about it. Have used it mostly for quilting, but it sews well on other items, also. Get a good demo on this; you won't regret it.

hobbykat1955 06-29-2018 04:15 AM

Babylock Jazz...has one of the largest throats for a standard machine...1800.00...you might get it cheaper on sale

ktarsha 07-03-2018 08:03 AM

After dithering and waffling and making a choice and changing my mind about it, I finally settled on a Janome 8200. It's on order, and should be here Friday. It might be a little more machine than I need, but if it works as well and as long as my original Janome (13 years and still going strong), I think it will be a good investment. (I also got a Brother serger that I've been thinking about for a while; it came yesterday, and I'm trying to work up the nerve to give it a try.)

Sandygirl 07-04-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 (Post 8082966)
If you have a Janome dealer in your area, maybe check them out. They are currently having an "Employee Pricing Event" where all machines are available for employee pricing. This is supposed to last until July 31. I have no idea what the employee price might be, but if other people are buying/trading in their machines, you may find a really nice 11" throat machine for a bargain 4 price like Zozee. Even if you don't find a trade in, Janome has several machines with an 11" throat and I agree with Stillsewing, Janome makes a really fine machines and for $3000 you can get a really good one with lots of great features. Here is a link where you can do some comparisons before you go. Janome also lists their MSRP for each machine. http://www.janome.com/

i stopped in at a Janome dealer and asked her about the “employee pricing”. I have known her a long time and trust her. She rolled her eyes and said the promo was no big deal and to wait until the new Juki with the 12 “ that comes out at Convention this summer. I say a sneak peak video on the Juki website. Gorgeous!

She is a huge fan of Babylock and sells them too. She will test out the Juki when gets it in and then we will talk about her input comparing it to the other brands she carries. I am considering a longer throat to quilt my own quilts .