Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-recommendations-t302133.html)

Dolphyngyrl 01-09-2019 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore (Post 8189766)
I have been told once you have owned a Bernina, it’s hard to be satisfied with any other brand. ???
Good luck in your decision.

I have seen quite a few switch from bernina, they are not for everyone. I used a 5 and 7 series personally didn't care for either but some people love them

quilterpurpledog 01-10-2019 03:22 AM

Love my BERNINAs I have had several. My favorite has been my 1130. I have sewed on others but always come back to the BERNINA.

patricej 01-10-2019 03:45 AM

i don't think berninas are still manufactured in switzerland.
i tried tracking down accurate information about that last year.
all i could find was that they were assembled somewhere in "Asia."

that does not mean they are no longer a good machine.
that is always going to depend upon whether the brand owners still hold the assemblers to high standards for machines designed with excellent specifications.
for me, personally, i also think the brand owner should pass on their labor savings to the consumer if they have outsourced manufacture of parts and/or assembly.

i have never heard a bernina owner complain about her/his machine.
they brag about them enthusiastically.
they also still have a reputation for holding up for many years.

so, if you can afford a bernina and are most comfortable with that brand you should be able to buy one with confidence. :)

LilaKay 01-10-2019 04:55 AM

If you want metal parts, Bernina is still a quality machine. I actually like Janome better. I would say when buying a new machine I would go with a brand that can be serviced locally.

Onebyone 01-10-2019 05:58 AM

The Brother 1500 straight stitch is all metal guts, has large area for quilting, had auto thread cutter, auto threader, knee lift, needle up/down and will sew through denim layers. I do all my quilting on this machine. Last time I looked at a new one it was under $700 at the dealer. Juki has a good straight stitch machine too.

luvstoquilt 01-10-2019 06:06 AM

I am a BERNINA gal!

SillySusan 01-10-2019 07:06 AM

I had a Viking computerized one that was not a good choice for me. It broke down after a couple of years and couldn't be repaired. No one would even look at it. They said it was not worth fixing. I'm using a cheap mechanical Singer now and love it.

NoraB 01-10-2019 08:36 AM

I agree with onebyone...I have a Brother PS1500 and that is a workhorse! It only does straight stitch, but that is all I need. It will handle anything. It also has a pin-feed setting that feeds the fabric from the bottom (kind of like a walking foot). I love it and have had it for over 13 years. I'd buy another in a minute if mine ever stopped working.

wekebu 01-12-2019 02:44 PM

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. For now, a Bernina 1031 was donated to a local sewing studio and I am the proud/happy owner of it. She's made from metal, weighs a ton, and it's so comforting to have a machine again. I wish I could say thank you to the person who donated it. It's in almost perfect condition, had about ten feet inside an accessories case, a darning attachment, about 20 bobbins, the manual and a machine cover! Only the knee lifter was missing and I found where to purchase one. I'm thrilled. Even when/if I get my new machine, I'll keep her until someone else is in need.

quiltedsunshine 01-12-2019 07:03 PM

The new "Next Generation" Berninas are pretty awesome! The Bernina 790 is my dream machine. But not in my budget. A lot of Bernina Gals are upgrading to the 570 (about $1899). You can get it with or without embroidery (add $1000). The giant bobbin and built-in dual feed are pretty great. I still like the walking foot much better than the dual feed. But the Jumbo bobbin holds 70% more thread!