Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine sewing binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-sewing-binding-t250774.html)

robinred55 07-25-2014 11:45 PM

Machine sewing binding

Hi All,
First of all I want to thank the members on this board. Even though I'm a lurker I've learned so much by reading what others have done.

Firstly, I've learned how to sandwich my quilt using basting spray. I've finally made a quilt without all the puckers from not getting it all flat. The quilt I'm working on has become my "coming of age" quilt. I'm a self-taught quilter and have made about 10 quilts over the last 2 years.

I read the thread about the quilt police and a number of people 'confessed' to machine sewing binding. I have bad carpal tunnel and if I can avoid hand sewing all the better. I've always machined the front binding but if you sew the binding on the back also it must show on the front of the quilt. How do others manage this?

Thanks from Down Under:)

icul8rg8r 07-26-2014 12:16 AM

No need to "confess" anything! Whether one binds by hand or by machine, it is totally up to the quilter! I actually prefer machine binding - seems much stronger. I bind from the back to the front, and use one of my machine's pretty decorative stitches which gives the quilt a nice, finishing touch.

Esmerelde 07-26-2014 12:48 AM

I machine sew all my bindings. I usually attach to the back first, then pull to front and sew to the front. I use a normal straight stitch, and just move the needle two settings to the right to catch the very edge. (I use my blind hemming foot when doing this and keep the edge of the binding against the guide).

Recently I've started to sew to the front and then do the same on the back. My bindings are 2.5 inches wide and the side I sew last is always wider, so if I want a very narrow look on the front, I now sew to the front first.

patricej 07-26-2014 01:51 AM

i machine stitch both sides of my binding, too.
i attach mine to the front first, also.
i'm usually pleased with the results - unless i let my impatience take over and don't pin or glue baste carefully enough when i flip it to the back.

i've been trying to improve my skill working with narrower bindings.
don't ask me why. it's just something i decided i wanted to do.
as if life isn't hard enough. LOL LOL LOL

Knitette 07-26-2014 01:56 AM

Welcome to the board!

Although I usually machine on front and hand sew at the back (which I hate, but prefer the finish of, lol), when I can - for example wall hangings - I machine stitch my bindings. Then I sew to the back, pull round to the front and usually do a decorative stitch.

Unless you're entering your quilt in a show, then it's fine to do what you find easiest. Happy quilting. :)

mawluv 07-26-2014 02:21 AM

I to stitch to the back and fold to the front, then use a decorative stitch that covers and catches both front /back at the same time. Do whatever works for you, but don't be afraid to try something different!! OMG, I couldn't imagine my life without,"Elmer's School Glue". If it hadn't been for the ladies/guys here on the QB, I would have never tried it! BTW, try it on your binding to hold it down, no pins, no puckers, no problems!!!!!!

robinred55 07-26-2014 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by mawluv (Post 6817841)
I to stitch to the back and fold to the front, then use a decorative stitch that covers and catches both front /back at the same time. Do whatever works for you, but don't be afraid to try something different!! OMG, I couldn't imagine my life without,"Elmer's School Glue". If it hadn't been for the ladies/guys here on the QB, I would have never tried it! BTW, try it on your binding to hold it down, no pins, no puckers, no problems!!!!!!

If only we had Elmer's here in Oz.

Thanks all for your replies. I now have a plan of action and since the quilt is for me it's ok if there's a mistake or two in it.
I'll post a photo when it's finished.

woody 07-26-2014 03:08 AM

Hi Robinred, I am in oz too, and I have bought Elmers school glue from Officeworks, so it is available (yes it does work great too :) ).

If I do my binding by machine I like this way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NY89RqQhPQ.
Where abouts are you?

TexasSunshine 07-26-2014 03:11 AM

I also do as most of the others, sew to back and stitch to the front. One thing that helps me is the binding foot, it helps keep it straight. Also whenever I am ready to sew it to the front, I often get some scraps and a little piece of scrap batting and do a few practice pieces. That way I know what it will look like and can adjust things particularly when using a decorative stitch. If it is real thick I will stitch the top with a denim needle.

robinred55 07-26-2014 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by woody (Post 6817871)
Hi Robinred, I am in oz too, and I have bought Elmers school glue from Officeworks, so it is available (yes it does work great too :) ).

If I do my binding by machine I like this way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NY89RqQhPQ.
Where abouts are you?

Thanks for the info woody. I'll check it out.
Are you having a bad Winter also in Canberra. It's awful here in Adelaide.