Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine skipping stitches Please help!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-skipping-stitches-please-help-t238199.html)

Lynnejean 01-05-2014 04:05 PM

Machine skipping stitches Please help!!

I have a babylock quilter choice dream series. It has been skipping stitches on and off for atleast a year. Everytime I replace needle, clean machine, change thread, rethread, check bobbin etc all the usually stuff. It will sew pretty good on two thicknesses of fabric and when it comes to a seam where there is 4 thickness it either doesn't want to go over it and I have to pull it through or it will go over it and skip stitches. Sometimes it skips stitches for no reason at all. It sent it in to my babylock dealer and they sent it back unfixed!!! Please help!!

Jeanne

Scissor Queen 01-05-2014 04:31 PM

It might be the type of needle you're using. A lot of people think universal needles are fine but you're more likely to have problems with them. Sharps for cotton and ball points for knits work way better.

quilter711 01-05-2014 05:47 PM

I have older singer, Brother, and Babylock machines. I find that the Brother only likes certain threads. It will skip stitches if it doesn't like the thread that I am using. I find Aurifil thread works well on this machine. Try different brand of thread. Good luck!

CanoePam 01-05-2014 06:39 PM

The right size of a needle is critical to not skipping stitches. Try going up a size, maybe to a 14.

Pam

Scissor Queen 01-05-2014 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 6495418)
The right size of a needle is critical to not skipping stitches. Try going up a size, maybe to a 14.

Pam

She may have the needle/thread size combo wrong. The needle and thread size needs to be compatible.

Tartan 01-05-2014 07:07 PM

The last time my Bernina skipped stitches, it had to go to the dealer to fix the timing. Hopefully that isn't your problem as it has already been to the repairman. I always bring the project that my machine was skipping on to the shop before I bring it home.

PaperPrincess 01-05-2014 07:46 PM

As other posters mentioned, skipping stitches may be caused by your needle. Make sure that you are inserting it all the way up into the shaft.

NanaCsews2 01-05-2014 08:01 PM

How frustrating! Was there a mixup at your dealer and they believe it was fixed by the service dept or could the service dept not fix it? I would want answers. They sell Babylocks, they should have a service that qualifies to fix this, or offers to send it out to Babylock for repairs. My thoughts would be the timing may be off due to trying to sew the 4 layers. With an incorrect needle on 4 layers could easily cause a timing issue. I have my mothers Brother VX 1120 that may have timing issues. She used it 2x before she had a stroke and couldn't use it. With the cost of the machine, I am debating if I should get it repaired, or simply purchase another machine similar to hers. Your Babylock is a good machine, I hope your dealer can check it out again for you. At least walk you through what the issues are.

Peckish 01-05-2014 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam (Post 6495418)

Pam

I agree with this. My machine started skipping stitches when I was sewing a bag that had multiple layers of fabric. I solved the problem by putting in a size 16 topstitch needle.

MFord 01-05-2014 09:36 PM

I discovered that using too much adhesive spray can also cause skipped stitches! I think I got too close to the batting and sprayed in some clumpy, bumpy stuff. I'll bet too much Elmer's glue would do the same thing!