Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine Snobbery? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-snobbery-t176830.html)

Lori S 01-24-2012 07:58 PM

I have run into my share of machine snobs over the years . One LQS always .. always asked either while you were shopping or at the cutting counter "So , what kind of machine do you have?". If the answer was anything other than the brand they sold ... it was like they had all they could do to just cut your fabric ... like it became the biggest chore ! I hated going into that LQS and did just about anything to avoid it. A few years ago they went out of business.
A good business person recognizes that good customers don't always look like what you expect. And since the perchase was already made , what was to gain in her behavior?
In treating you that way would you ever buy anything from her in the future( like when it comes time to upgrade)? She had the opportunity to start a relationship, and earn your loyalty and failed to see it as such.

Baby Catcher 01-24-2012 08:05 PM

I took a class at a LQS and the owner insulted my Singer feather weight. Gasp! Who insults a FW?

lonestardreams 01-24-2012 08:16 PM

How tacky. I guess the rules are different for dealers. The dealer where I shop sells Bernina, Brother and Janome. They service all brands and are very helpful. I have seen the owner help people with so many different machines.

It's my money, I'll buy what I want.

Enjoy your machine and have fun.

Highmtn 01-24-2012 09:45 PM

Elliegirl...
I waited years and years to buy a super n-i-c-e digital sewing machine with moderate bells and whistles, but even when I thought about taking the plunge the Bernina dealer was very cautious NOT to shove me into something that was more then I needed or wanted. Also, I bought local because I had been buying fabric from this quilting store for a long time and I wanted to support her business (she was super nice).

Another friend of mine was very tight on funds, and she got a super nice Janome off of Overstock.com for $100.00 (refurbished). She has sewn up a storm with that little gem.

To this day.. I keep my original 1977 Kenmore sewing machine proudly in reach. I get it serviced and I still love it after allll these years! It's a little work horse, and I don't pay any attention to ANY ONE pulling the "brand snobbery" snub if I happen to take it to a class.

A shop owner that's haughty or rude runs off good shoppers. I wouldn't spend my money anywhere that had that type of atmosphere. Tooo many good appreciative FUN quilt shops around.

deemail 01-24-2012 10:04 PM

First of all, it's hard to accept or feel bad about snobbery based on 'mass production,' when what she really meant was 'mass distributed'...because, of course, you are absolutely correct, all sewing machines are mass produced. Their price depends as much on the fact that the chain stores sell thousands of machines every day (maybe a week) where the store will sell one a month. How many people were in your class? Ask them when they bought their machines... they don't run the classes till they have enough people to make up a decent sized class.

There are lovely features on EVERY BRAND of machine out there and I'm assuming that you bought the one you liked and wanted and that had the features you needed. Enjoy your new machine, we are looking forward to seeing some of your new projects.....

Taino Jan 01-24-2012 10:11 PM

Yep. I ran into the snob factor regarding my inexpensive Brothers machine. I now have a Janome (lower end) but got it because it is a great machine, well made, that does what I want. Ignore the snobs and wanna-be's.

Great quilts have been made on treadle machines as well as high end computerized models. And guess which ones will still work if the electricity goes out.:D

JustAbitCrazy 01-25-2012 12:21 AM

So sorry you had that experience. Shame on her for trying to make you feel bad in front of a class! How small of her, and not at all business smart! People like that end up going out of business. Try to shake it off, enjoy your new machine, and if it were me, I'd certainly shop and take classes elsewhere in the future. Who needs attitude? Thankfully, most shop owners and dealers are smarter and much nicer than her. The ladies at our local quilt shop are exceptionally sweet. Your experience makes me appreciate them all the more! Have fun with your machine! You have gotten lots of good advice here--it's the skill of the operator, not the machine. Gorgeous quilts have long been made without any machine at all! :thumbup:

SunlitenSmiles 01-25-2012 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Catcher (Post 4907930)
I took a class at a LQS and the owner insulted my Singer feather weight. Gasp! Who insults a FW?

a total clod

Vanogay 01-25-2012 03:58 AM

I agree with most everyone who's posted. Snobbery in a small business against customers not owning/buying/using exactly the brand they are contracted to sell only drives business away. I too, have a Brother, but a Disney and love the work it does. Got it from the dealer when someone traded it in for a larger and newer machine. Price was good and that's what counted with me. Mine's too heavy for me to carry to classes, so it's a stay-at-home, but I love it. And remember - it's been said here - it's not the machine but the skill of the operator that makes the great quilt!! Don't know how many other quilt shops you have in your part of KY, but I'd certainly make a road trip for my next fabric purchase. (Come south to us in Tennessee - we have some nice shops)

SunlitenSmiles 01-25-2012 03:58 AM

Great quilts have been made on treadle machines as well as high end computerized models. And guess which ones will still work if the electricity goes out.:D[/QUOTE]

when not if.....no one is safe LOL