Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine tune-ups...how often do you send yours in? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-tune-ups-how-often-do-you-send-yours-t88878.html)

CraftyGardenMom 01-09-2011 03:55 AM

Hiding head in shame here...my poor machine hasn't had a professional tune-up in about 3 years. It's definitely needed since I sew almost every day, so "old girl" could use some internal love, LOL. My problem is this.. I HATE being without my machine! The place I take it to takes 2-3 weeks. I understand this because they service a lot of machines, and they do an excellent job for the money (approx. $90). But I only have one sewing machine, so that kind of puts me out of the game for almost a month.

My "solution" to my sewing machine selfishness :wink: is to wait until just before I am due to deliver (I am 8 months pregnant) and then take it in. I'm pretty sure I won't be sewing at least the first month with a newborn and also a 4 yr old running circles around me, LOL. :)

So how often do you all take your machine in for service?

ktbb 01-09-2011 04:05 AM

When I had only one machine, I took it in once a year. Not what I have multiple machines, I take one in a year and rotate to make sure they all get their shot at service.

Airwick156 01-09-2011 04:06 AM

Congratulations on your baby. I hope everything goes well for you.

sewTinker 01-09-2011 04:09 AM

I do the annual thing, also. Mine is a bit overdue for a cleaning, although it is not acting up. When I complete my current quilt, I will take her in. Luckily, Hazel (my fw) can do stand-in. Actually looking forward to that as I don't sew on her often enough.

donnajean 01-09-2011 04:10 AM

I have never taken my 1996 Viking Rose in for a "tune-up" & it has logged a lot of miles. Maybe some have seen the quilt pictures I posted on 1/7. I'm just careful to keep in clean.

S D G 01-09-2011 04:27 AM

yearly is recomended.

Cindy2sew 01-09-2011 05:16 AM

I have 3 machines and a serger. I have found a wonderful independent repaIr guy who only charges me $65.00 for an annual. All mine go in once a year tho on a rotating schedule.

Cindy

raptureready 01-09-2011 05:22 AM

I never have. As long as they sew I do the cleaning and oiling myself. Now that I have a really nice Janome that I won at Threads of Time in Danville, Il. at their customer appreciation days I might have to start letting Bill check it out now and then but with the cheapies I've had in the past I just got different machines when they konked. A cheap portable would usually last me around two-four years of hard, hard sewing. That was okay with me.

Mary O 01-09-2011 05:33 AM

Sew alot and do regular cleaning but I have too much money invested in my machine so it goes back to the dealer every year for good cleaning and check over.80 miles away....

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-09-2011 06:34 AM

I have a $100 Brother machine from Wal-mart that is 6 years old. I've never taken it anywhere.