Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which machine for UK? Help me decide (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-uk-help-me-decide-t281443.html)

Joanie2 08-19-2016 07:31 AM

Which machine for UK? Help me decide

My question is for those living in the UK. My son and his family are moving to London in November and then on to Scotland in 2020. I want to give my d-I-l a sewing machine for Christmas. Wondering if anyone can recommend a brand or model in the $300 USD price range that I can purchase thru Amazon UK. She's been sewing on an older Elna Quilter's Dream of mine. She doesn't need anything too fancy but it needs to be sturdy and to last for awhile. Also I understand fabric is so much more expensive over there. Would it be less expensive in the long run to send her a care package of fabrics from the USA? I want to encourage her newly found interest in sewing so any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

ManiacQuilter2 08-19-2016 08:26 AM

I think that sending fabric to her would be fine. There is paperwork involved but I would check with your local USPS. Good Luck on finding the right machine that will work for her.

Geri B 08-19-2016 10:34 AM

Isn't electric current different from USA?a/c. Vs. d/c.....I may be way wrong......

quiltingcandy 08-19-2016 11:34 AM

There are a few UK quilters on here that will hopefully chime in. We ship to Germany and Poland from time to time and I don't think they have to pay extra taxes but it is something to check out.

Cari-in-Oly 08-19-2016 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B (Post 7631039)
Isn't electric current different from USA?a/c. Vs. d/c.....I may be way wrong......

Their voltage is different. 220v vs our 110v.

Cari

Tom W 08-19-2016 02:22 PM

There are serveral Brother, Janome and Juki mechanical machines in your price range on Amazon.co.uk. Any of them would be good reliable machines.

CarolinePaj 08-20-2016 05:08 AM

Hi Joanie2,

what a lovely gesture. Here is my twopenneth worth ...... Prices in the UK are very different than in the USA, we are normally much more expensive over here - that said, at the present time with the dollar being so strong against the pound you will get more bang for your buck!!! Janome machines are pretty reliable so I would probably go in that direction. Amazon are great and a lot of the local retailers will price match which I always ask them to do as this means that if anything goes wrong then the dealer is nearby for repairs etc.

Now... As for care packages of fabric...... Yes yes yes! My daughter lives in Texas and sends me packages all the time... Just remember that you must must must mark the package gift and do not put a high dollar amount on the customs label. I think at the present time a gift to the value of $75.00 is okay, but this can be checked at HMRC website.

If if you need any more info, please feel free to PM me.

By the way, where in England are your family moving to???

Hugs

Caroline

caitflynn 08-20-2016 05:34 AM

I agree, with Caroline, either Brother or Janome are good makes. Yes the electricity is 240v.against 110v in USA.
So shop Amazon UK. The delivery address needs to be in UK and you can use your US addess for
billing purposes.
Your daughter-in-law is a lucky lady indeed, to have you for a mother-in-law.
Good luck and hope all works out for you both.
Slante
Cait xXx

notmorecraft 08-20-2016 08:29 AM

I'm in Scotland and order fabric from Connecting Threads over $75 shipping to UK is free and however they get it to UK, it is delivered to me by courier and I don't pay tax or duty. Delivery is usually just over a week. Sorry can't recommend a machine.

cannyquilter 08-26-2016 01:07 AM

I second using Connecting Threads, duty is paid at purchase, service is first rate. I've had several low end brother machines, never had any problems with them.