Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine vs hand piecing and quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-vs-hand-piecing-quilting-t296218.html)

Kikki5183 04-14-2018 02:34 PM

Machine vs hand piecing and quilting

I have a bookshelf quilt that I would like to enter into my County Fair but there are two categories and I am not sure which to pick. One is hand-sewn and one is machine sewn but which should I pick if I pieced all of the "books" with a machine but when it came to quilting all of it together I did it by hand?

Tartan 04-14-2018 02:50 PM

If the category is Quilt-pieced and hand quilted, then it could go there. If the category is just machine quilt or hand quilt, you will have to pick one.

bakermom 04-14-2018 02:50 PM

at our Fair it would go in "hand" because it is hand quilted. Can you contact the dept. committee/superintendant and ask for qualification?

Jingle 04-14-2018 03:43 PM

Wouldn't be hard for me, since I never hand pieced a quilt' Only my first 25 or sew did I hand quilt.

I think machine is the only way to go for both.

dunster 04-14-2018 04:37 PM

When I helped the judge at a small county fair, she sometimes moved quilts to different categories if they didn't belong where they were. However not all judges can or will do that, so I would ask for clarification. Is there a number listed on the entry form for you to call?

QuiltE 04-14-2018 04:59 PM

Agree with the others ... first check the wording as to what it says.
Then call the contact person, and pose your question.
Best to check first, and not be disappointed with a disqualification.

Like Dunster said, some Judges and coordinators will move quilts to other classes ... but not all.
My experience is that most just leave it where it is. Then judge as is, or disqualify.
Some will leave a note as to the DQ reason ... but many will not.

Good Luck with your entry!

Teen 04-14-2018 05:10 PM

I would clarify with committee but you could probably make a note on the form the specifics of your quilt and have committee pick for you. Good luck! We are cheering for you. Have we seen your quilt? Please share, if not...

Kikki5183 04-14-2018 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom (Post 8040693)
at our Fair it would go in "hand" because it is hand quilted. Can you contact the dept. committee/superintendant and ask for qualification?

That is was what I thought, but last year I entered 1 that was completely hand pieced/sewn and quilted. The judge asked if the entire thing had to be done by hand the the superintendent just said the the book listed it as "hand quilted, adult size". Our judges are allowed to move stuff but most just disquilify.

luvstoquilt 04-15-2018 04:39 AM

Years ago I hand pieced and hand quilted. I machine piece now and either hand quilt or send to LAQer. At our county fair hand quilt is just the quilting..not piecing. I agree you should just ask!

Kitsie 04-15-2018 07:12 AM

Think I'd rather find out first what category it should be put in rather than just take a chance of it being disqualified!