Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Machine with Walking Foot- Is it worth it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/machine-walking-foot-worth-t102176.html)

sewTinker 02-23-2011 04:11 AM

a walking foot for piecing flannel and/or attaching binding makes life so much easier. does she tie the quilts and bind them?

pocoellie 02-23-2011 06:02 AM

The only time I've used my walking foot has been stitching in the ditch or putting on the binding. It's really not that hard to put on.

rilene 02-23-2011 06:08 AM

I use my walking foot as much as possible for piecing, binding, sewing clothing, ... It makes a big difference to me.

sewNso 02-23-2011 06:12 AM

i use mine to put the binding on. and if i piece backing or batting. but not for piecing.

cattailsquilts 02-23-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by akrogirl

Originally Posted by jemma
love my pfaff +inbuilt walking foot------i have tried peicing with and without --big difference

I have to agree. Much as I love my Vikings and Berninas, I would never, ever give up my Pfaff IDT machines. They make a huge difference to my piecing.

I absolutely agree with this. I have 2 Pfaffs and I rarely *don't* use the IDT. (well, 3, but one is my GrandQuilter, and it is set up for free motion on a frame, no need for a walking foot)

This is one of the reasons why I will always own a Pfaff. :)

k3n 02-23-2011 06:17 AM

I also have the Janome 6600 and it has Acufeed which is the same as the Pfaff's IDT. I have a 'walking foot' with a 1/4" guide that I use for piecing anything on the bias, long strips of fabric across the WOF for example, when making a bargello or sewing strips to subcut for speed piecing, and for sewing on long lengths of single fabric for borders. It helps enormously with puckering and stretching (I also reduce the foot pressure a tad). Whether she needs one or not will really depend on the kind of piecing she does and the kind of fabrics she works with, whether she personally can justify the investment. But I disagree that a walking foot (or the equivalent, Acufeed, IDT or whatever) is 'only' for quilting. It's purpose is to alleviate shifting of layers so ANYWHERE this may be an issue, it's the tool for the job.

DeniseP 02-23-2011 07:23 AM

I love my walking foot and would not hestitate to buy another if I broke the one I have. I think it's worth trying to get used to the one she has. Maybe you could find an inexpensive one on ebay.

quiltmaker 02-23-2011 08:17 AM

I agree with the other Pfaffies here....the only application I don't use the IDT (built in walking foot) is for FMQ and embroidery. As K3n said, it's purpose it to alleviate shifting anywhere. However I do understand member's feelings about the bulkiness of one you have to attach as I have some for other machines and you don't have the choice of using whatever feet you want to use for various applications as we do with our Pfaffs. That is one of the main reasons we love our Pfaffs.

luckylindy333 02-25-2011 08:54 PM

Thanks everyone- I will pass all this information on to my Mom. I have two Pfaff's with walking feet. I use them all the time... I think part of it is that she used to have a Pfaff, too, it broke down completely, but then she bought this Janome for pretty cheap that does not have the built-in walking foot and she does not feel like fiddling with putting it on. Anyway, I don't know what she is going to do.

Maia B 02-25-2011 09:03 PM

I love the built-in walking foot on my Pfaff and Babylock Quest Plus for piecing, especially sashing and borders. I haven't worked with the add-on walking foot on my Bernina enough to know how I like it for piecing. But it helps with flannel, for sure.