Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   maching points and blocks?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/maching-points-blocks-t165136.html)

quiltlady1941 11-02-2011 09:55 AM

maching points and blocks??

do you get mad if your points and block don't match...do you rip it out and try to fix it?
or do you just leave it and hope no one notices it...

I'm talking about if they are just a little off..do they all have to be perfect? I'm doing a quilt and some of the blocks don't match up, there not to far off LOL what to do??

Thanks

mim 11-02-2011 10:03 AM

it depends how bid the porject is -- a wall hanging, yes, I would undo (Idon't like the word rip) a couple inches and redo. If it was a big quilt, I might not. It also depends on how different the colors were -- light vs dark would show up a lot more. Some of the points on a quilt I'm doing now got cut off a little -- I left them. I had made the blocks several years ago.

BTW what is a junior member?? does that come after new member or is it your age?? LOL

valsma 11-02-2011 10:08 AM

For me it depends on whether it is a gift or for my use. If it is just a fraction off, probably not. I'm still learning so I try and cut myself some slack because i'm my own worst critic and it will drive me nuts.

whatever 11-02-2011 10:14 AM

I pin it looks lined up I sew and ugh there off after a few times of this I either walk away or get mad and leave it but then hating myself later for letting my temper win out

Willa 11-02-2011 12:28 PM

Are you making it for a competition? If you are then rip if you're not then leave it no one will notice unless its waaaaaay off.

QuiltingCrazie 11-02-2011 12:42 PM

I say do what ever is not going to drive you batty or make you hate the project. If your one that would point out they are off to everyone you show it to then I would rip but if you wont I would leave it!! Happy quilting!!!!

ckcowl 11-02-2011 12:57 PM

it really depends on the quilt- what it's for- and how far off they are-
no one is perfect- did you know in the Amish community they will turn something upside down or make a mistake on purpose- because only god can create perfection?
if it doesn't take away from the look- most people would not even notice if a point is not perfect- only if you are entering it in a show= having it judged --is it a big deal

Becka 11-02-2011 01:01 PM

I've had to pull some to make them match, then I've had to scrunch some (or spray it) to make it "shrink" some AND I've had some I took completely apart and redid :) Like others said, it depends on how crazy it's going to make you and whether it's going to be judged or not.

Theresa 11-02-2011 01:05 PM

If it is only a "little" bit off, I'd move on, unless your quilt is headed for competition! Honestly, these are so hard to find once your quilt is put together. I understand how frustrating it is. My machine tends to push the fabric a little. I pin to be as exact as possible and it sure isn't always the case after being sewn.

charmpacksplus 11-02-2011 01:19 PM

Sometimes mine match up and sometimes they don't. I don't undo unless they are really far off. When I'm sewing the rows together I put a pin about two threads past the seam so they are usually close enough for me. If they match up exactly I jump for joy :-) It also helps to cut accurately and sew accurately, meaning the same seam allowance every time.