Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   maching sewing binding on back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/maching-sewing-binding-back-t68980.html)

kapatt 10-08-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma

Thanks for the link. That is a nice way to do it on the machne.

:thumbup:

cjtinkle 10-08-2010 08:00 AM

There are commercial binding machines? !!! Would you share that information? I would love to know more!

Originally Posted by cjk
I don't have any advise I'm just thinking.... "oh how I miss my commercial machine and all the folders!" binding was a breeze!

seamstome 10-08-2010 09:05 AM

I have a Martelli binding attachment for my machine but have not used it yet.

vintagemotif 10-08-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Sew the binding to the back and turn to the front instead. Then do a decorative stitch -- this won't detract from the pattern/design/"look" of the quilt off the edge of the binding on the back as it might on the front. Use a decorative stitch rather than a close-to-the-edge stitch.

Jan in VA

That is what I do too. I love the look of the decorative stitch over the straight stitch.

MadQuilter 10-08-2010 09:09 AM

When I sew the binding down by machine entirely, I sew it down on the back first, pull it to the front and sew it down usind a decorative stitch. If the binding is not entirely straight (and it never is), the decorative stitch acts as an additional adornment and its unevenness isn't noticed.

cjk 10-08-2010 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
There are commercial binding machines? !!! Would you share that information? I would love to know more!

Originally Posted by cjk
I don't have any advise I'm just thinking.... "oh how I miss my commercial machine and all the folders!" binding was a breeze!

Not commercial binding machines... just commercial single needle machine. You can get all kinds of folders to fit them.

G'ma Kay 10-08-2010 09:21 AM

do it backwards, stitch it to the back and machine stitch it to the front. much easier.

Lystra 10-08-2010 09:27 AM

thanks guys....for all the great advice. I do agree that handstitching looks best but I have not tried pulling the binding to the front. I don't have very many decorative stitches so I'll have to zig zag....can't wait to try it!

Quiltforme 10-08-2010 11:22 AM

I tried the other day and ripped it out the time it took to sew and rip I would have been done. the decorative stitch might be your best bet but you stillhave to worry about getting the seam in there. Good luck!! Jade

RkayD 10-08-2010 11:30 AM

I use plain ole school glue. I put a very very thin line and then heat set it with an iron. Sew the binding and then toss it in the wash. The glue washes right out. I also use it on everything else instead of pins. Its been a life saver for me. Especially when working with Triangles and such. Hope that Helps. =)