Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Made the mistake of..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/made-mistake-t185145.html)

MoanaWahine 04-06-2012 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker (Post 5119928)
Never say never. You don't know what the future might hold for you. Hang on to your dreams and never let them die. and, someday, you will get that machine!

You are correct, I will never give up on my dreams!! Just wish they could come true sooner than later :).

Monroe, as for a place in the area that rents time on a machine, I do not know of one, but then I have not looked either. I know that the three quilt shops that I have been to do not, so not looking good for me. Once we get moved and I get everything unpacked, I will be asking.

SunlitenSmiles 04-07-2012 03:49 AM

I think of the 'L' in lotto as long-arm machine and that is why i buy one ticket each time.....

of course i would need a big house with a studio to make a home for the LA machine and assorted Featherweights and treadles for fun surroundings.......

but in the present my 301A and BERNINA 1630 and serger....sew on and on .......................giggle

sherryl57 04-07-2012 05:51 AM

I dreamed and drooled for a long time.Now,I have a Gammill and am knee-deep with customer quilts.But,I am happy.But,I don't get to my own stuff.I think my hushband thought I would support our household when he retired.Well,I'm not responsable for what he thought.

anita211 04-07-2012 06:09 AM

Your story is why I don't even look at machines any more. I can't afford one with all the bells and whistles that I know are out there, and because of that have to be happy with the 4 machines I do have.

Anita in Northfield, MN

Farm Quilter 04-07-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by mighty (Post 5119909)
Be patient, good things come to those who wait!!!!

Too right! I got a brand-new Innova on a 12' frame 3 years ago for $7,000 (boy do I love her!!!) and last summer I bought a used (very lightly) Bernina sewing/embroidery machine with multiple hoops, over 50 DVDs of patterns, thread, and table with the flip-up on the back of the table to make it twice as big for $500. I only use the Bernina for embroidery because I bought a Jamone Quilter's Companion 2 years ago for $650 (list was $1,200) from a lady who won it in a shop hop and she didn't want it (it was still in the box!). I just "fell" into all of these machines, but I didn't hesitate when the deals were there. Yeah, I was fortunate to have some cash from the sale of my house, but my LA enabled me to start my own business working from home and I love it!!!

Beehiveof9 04-07-2012 06:22 AM

I'm guilty of drooling too! Even though I don't expect to be able to afford such things now, maybe in the future. Plus, in our house, there is NO WHERE to even think of putting a long arm. My sewing area is a tiny little corner of the living room, and that is it, unless I can evict all the kids away from the kitchen table for a few hours to use for quilting.

ShirlinAZ 04-07-2012 06:37 AM

That's why I refuse to try one. I want a long-arm so bad I can taste it. I don't have the money or the space, so I refuse to let myself get depressed by trying what I cannot have. I will keep dreaming too.

justflyingin 04-07-2012 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5119428)
I know how you feel. Last week at a quilt show I got to test drive the HQ Sweet Sixteen. It's a sitdown quilter, you work it like a domestic, but facing the end of the machine, not the side. It comes with a lovely table, just the right size, and bigger throat to put a rolled up quilt. Oh, if only someone had $4,000 to give me as a gift!

Is this the price of the machine? Is it considered a long arm?

BellaBoo 04-07-2012 09:33 AM

I have the John Flynn Frame and I like it. You can use any machine with it. It's very inexpensive and I can do any fmq as nice as I can on a long arm, just not as fast. The quilting space is limited to the machine throat space. I bought two folding six foot tables, sittng them end to end and have my machine sitting in the middle with the frame. It was awkward to use at first but after practicing and using it, it is comfortable to use. From my experience it isn't the frame or quilting table that is so important. It's the sewing machine used with it.

MadQuilter 04-07-2012 09:40 AM

Well, now that you know what you want, why not plan for it. Set a timeline, set a budget and then savesavesave.