Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magazines and Books! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magazines-books-t136116.html)

ScubaK 07-08-2011 11:24 AM

Ok! This is it!!!
I WILL NOT buy anymore magazines or books!
I have way too many and will start going through them to clear out my shelves.
Thought if I put it on here, this would help with my resolve!!
Kirsten

DonnaC 07-08-2011 11:26 AM

I know.... I try so hard not to buy any more, then something catches my eye and BINGO! I'm at the cash register with debit card in hand. Don't know how I can stop myself!

Ripped on Scotch 07-08-2011 11:26 AM

haha I have said that and then won a new pattern book that night. Good luck though

PaperPrincess 07-08-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK
Ok! This is it!!!
Kirsten

Me too. I can say this because I just bought 2 this a.m. on Amazon. Love those used book prices! I've gotten some of the older quilting books for $0.01 ( +$4 shipping) you can't buy a pattern for that! That darned one click purchase gets me every time.
So No More. Really. I mean it (I think).

erstan947 07-08-2011 11:31 AM

Just about anything you want is available on line. Most I really like are free. I'm not doing anymore subscriptions. Maybe buy one at the news stand once in a while.

cmagee84 07-08-2011 11:39 AM

Good luck with that! :) I do not have ADD, unless it comes to quilting, then I want to try it all!

thepolyparrot 07-08-2011 12:27 PM

Me too. I've got stacks of magazines and books around here and many of them, I haven't even read, yet. There are hundreds which have little post-its sticking out of the top marking the patterns I want to try.

That Martingale's sale flyer came to my email a few weeks ago and I ordered 8 more because the price was unbeatable - $6 each and free shipping. I am powerless to overcome my addictions.... :?

And as long as I continue to sit here in front of the computer, I will almost certainly not make as many quilts as I would if I were sitting in front of my sewing machine. ;)

AliKat 07-08-2011 04:41 PM

Ok! This is it!!!
Kirsten

Why make such a resolution unless your budget would seriously be compromised.

You can scan what you want onto your computer and save to a flash drive. Takes up little room and if you do it as you go it is relatively easy.

No more clutter. A quick slide show presentation of the quilts available is so easy. Make a file of just the quilt tops and another of the tops and directions.

Then go to your local bookstore or LQS and have a latte and browse and buy, buy, buy.

ali

alikat110 07-09-2011 01:04 AM

Good intentions. Wish you good resolve!

meemersmom 07-09-2011 01:15 AM

Ok! This is it!!!
Kirsten

Have you ever considered a "new to you" book/magazine swap? I hosted one for just a few quilter friends. Had light refreshments, and everyone brought books, magazines, and UFOs they wanted to get rid of. We set it all up on a table, and then we "shopped". Didn't cost a penny (except for the wine!!) and we had fun. We also do this at a quilting retreat I go to every year.