Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magic Pins. Anyone Using Them? How Do You Like Them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magic-pins-anyone-using-them-how-do-you-like-them-t308645.html)

Jingle 12-16-2019 03:26 PM

I use glass head long thin straight pins. I'm not much on gimmicks when what I have works well for me.

QuiltE 12-16-2019 03:33 PM

Looks like they would be more ergonomically friendly than traditional pins.

Setting that aside ... are there really any benefits to the silicone ends vs. glass,
being that you can iron over both without creating a meltdown????

Answers, please!

SusieQOH 12-16-2019 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8341124)
Looks like they would be more ergonomically friendly than traditional pins.

Setting that aside ... are there really any benefits to the silicone ends vs. glass,

Answers, please!

Easier to pick up because they're grippy.

TheMerkleFamily 12-16-2019 06:55 PM

Have them (the light blue ones) and love them. I agree with SusieQOH they’re so easy to grip especially as you’re sewing through a well-pinned project.

cashs_mom 12-16-2019 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 8341124)

I was thinking the same. I don't remember the last time I needed to iron over pins and I have glass head pins I can use.

QuiltE 12-16-2019 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH (Post 8341157)
Easier to pick up because they're grippy.

Also the longer head to grip/grasp instead of the pinball dot!

jacqueck 12-17-2019 02:49 AM

I have the thin ones (aqua) and love using them. I do a lot of hand work and they are easy to use, easy to find if you drop one.

I did buy the purple ones first and don't care for them. They are thicker and heavier.

I don't iron over pins either but it's worth the cost to use with hand work, binding, applique, etc. They'd be a great stocking stuffer for a quilter.

Macybaby 12-17-2019 04:22 AM

Oh - I think I'd love the extra long ones for when I'm pinning tops on the LA (I float them). I prefer my flower head ones for mounting the quilt as they lay flat.

The only time I've needed to iron over pins is when making clothing and needing to set a crease before sewing, like when hemming.

Aurora 12-17-2019 06:00 AM

I have not used them, but several of my quilting friends with hand issues have been using them since they first came out. They seem to really like them. I literally have hundreds of the white glass head pins that work well for me.

applique 12-17-2019 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8341231)
I was thinking the same. I don't remember the last time I needed to iron over pins and I have glass head pins I can use.

I use the ones that look like buttons and use them all the time assembling fused applique pieces.