Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magic Pinwheels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magic-pinwheels-t57130.html)

quilterguy27 08-15-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by greencat
Here's my magic pinwheels that seems similar to the new pinwheel templates that are so popular now.
I found a charm pack at Walmart to test this out. I used 25 charms (5 per row) and added a 3" border.
I put clear tape on my ruler and traced the lines from the instruction sheet.

This is the first time I've posted with multiple pics.....I'm hoping everything shows up ok

Beautiful looking quilt. I've always wanted to make one of these, but just haven't been able to figure it out until now. But I'm still not sure I've figured it out. In your template it says 3/4" on three sides and in the upper right hand corner it says 1". Why aren't all four 3/4" or 1". Why does it make a difference to have that extra 1/4" in the upper right hand corner. I hope you can explain this. Thanks!!

KGoodhand 08-15-2010 01:50 PM

I have a new addition to my 'to do' list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ritzquilts 08-15-2010 02:17 PM

There is a book or was a book out called Square Dance that I did that method out of

greencat 08-15-2010 02:21 PM

quilterguy27 - I just followed the instructions that I received for the template! I really don't know why the one corner is 1".
I tested this out by making the template, then drew a number of 5" squares (maybe 3 rows of 3) on plain paper, then traced the template on my grid and cut them out and placed them together in rows. It worked! If that 1" really bugs you, you could try this before cutting any fabric (use 3/4" on all corners)

quilterguy27 08-16-2010 05:42 AM

No, it doesn't really bug me. I was just curious if there was a reason for it or if it might have been an error. I will give it a try tho. Maybe even both ways and see what the difference is. Maybe it has to do with the way it swirls or something to do with the seam allowance. I'm just one of those people like a three year old: Why? Why? Why? I can question something to death, but I will let this go for now and try it out and see if I can figure out WHY. Thanks! I do appreciate that you posted this.

gollytwo 08-16-2010 05:53 AM

great job

sabrina jones 08-21-2010 05:52 PM

i my name is sabrina how did you make you pine well out of im whating to get the rule but i can not find it thank sabrina jones from oklahoma

sabrina jones 08-21-2010 06:08 PM

hi i like the pinwell you did have you did the big one will you send me the patter so i can make one i have ben wanting to make this one but can not fine th temlbes thanks agine sabrinajones from okla

Dar-midlife 09-08-2010 04:24 PM

The small template is 3 1/2 inches and the line is 1 inch in from the corner. The size of block for that template is 5inches.

Originally Posted by butterflywing
niiiiice!

i have some questions:

:arrow: what is the size of the template?
:arrow: what is the size of the blocks that you sewed together first? are they the same?
:arrow: did you arbitrarily choose the 3/4" in from the corner, or is that a given measurement?

julybaby8 09-13-2010 06:46 AM

Neat idea. I'd like to try it too.