Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magic Tiles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magic-tiles-t40903.html)

rufus2 03-28-2010 02:19 AM

If you go to Mini Grey at the address above it will show you a tute.

grma33 03-28-2010 02:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
THis was my very first quilt many moons ago as you can see the blck inbetween was a little off as I was learning my 1/4 inch.
Its a very easy pattern.
Have not seen any pic on the board so if you quilters have made this lets see them.
Gale

watterstide 03-28-2010 03:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by raptureready
I don't have the pattern but I know how to do it. It's just a Wonky Nine patch with black strips in between. I saw a woman on Sewing With Nancy do one the other day. 9 squares of different fabrics stacked, cut two slashes each way with no particular measurements. I started mine with 12" blocks, most start with smaller. Once they're cut you take the first stack and put the top piece on the bottom, second stack put the top two on the bottom, third the top three and sew on before you start sewing. That will give you one piece of each fabric per block. Then just sew your black strips on between the first and second, the second and third, the 4th and 5th, 5th and 6th then sew a strip down one side of your first three that you've sewn together and sew the second strip onto that. Do the same with the last strip. Don't try to have your corners match, they don't need to. You'll have to square up each block when finished. hope that helps

I did this Wonky 9 patch block also, in a quilt as you go type thing,for a baby quilt for my grandson. they ended up hanging it up in his bedroom! (so then i had to make another one for him to cuddle in!)

Wonky 9 Patch/Quilt as you go
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33606[/ATTACH]

raptureready 03-28-2010 03:44 AM

That's very pretty. I'm working on one now just to use up fabric but I don't like my choices in colors (and they're already cut) So I'm thinking I may put the black between the blocks to see if I like it better. Mine just has some pretty bland colors and I don't like it.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-28-2010 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
Isn't this the same concept but you would use 12 layers of fabric instead of 9 to create the 12 blocks?

http://patchwork-of-mini-grey.blogsp...-tutorial.html

thanks for this link.

rufus2 03-28-2010 12:37 PM

To Raptureready:
Have some questions. Do you continue putting 4 pcs of fabric on the bottom, then 5 pcs when you get to that and 6 pcs on #6? Do you continue with 7,8 & 9?

Question 2: The black fabric that you use is it purchased dbl. binding or is it one thickness of 1" fabric that you sew on to the individual pieces?

wvdek 03-28-2010 12:45 PM

Those are cool. Never heard of this pattern. I need to check it out. Good way to use up some leftovers and such.

sandpat 03-29-2010 06:05 AM

Thanks for the link to the tute! That looks like a pretty fun and relaxing thing to do!

raptureready 03-29-2010 07:44 AM

Yes. First stack- top piece to the bottom, second stack--top 2 to the bottom, 3rd stack-top three to the bottom, 4th stack top 4 to the bottom, stack 5 top 5 to the bottom, 6-top 6 to the bottom, 7-top seven to the bottom, 8--top 8 to the bottom, leave the 9th stack alone. When moving the pieces to the bottom, move all of them together, don't count them out or rearrange the one you're moving. ie: when taking three off and moving them to the bottom, grab all three and put them on the bottom at the same time.

I NEVER use pre-packaged binding (bias tape) because it's very cheap fabric and shrinks terribly. I use one thickness and sew it between---just a strip of fabric. I prefer using 1" because I want it to end up 1/2" after I get all three pieces together. Less than that I find too tedious, more I find clumsy looking.

rufus2 03-29-2010 10:51 AM

Thank you so much raptureready. I could not find any information on these questions.