Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magnectic Snaps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magnectic-snaps-t67733.html)

krisgray 10-01-2010 01:53 PM

Patterns I've used that called for magnetic snaps instructed to use medium weight interfacing.

charmpacksplus 10-01-2010 02:12 PM

I used a little scrap of the fusible fleece about 1.5 inch square just to give it a little something extra to hold onto - and it's washable and ironable.

Dingle 10-01-2010 02:39 PM

I put one on a bag I made for my Mom. I had already made her a summer one with a button but she wanted a winter one also. I put a snap on it instead of the button and she didn't like it. She had a hard time getting the bag open. She had to pull hard on both sides to get it to open or put her finger nail inbetween the magnet to open. She said it felt like she was going to rip the bag by tugging so hard.

mom-6 10-02-2010 05:45 AM

If you have any Tyvek envelopes or other item, you can cut your circle from them, they are perfect for this...strong, lightweight and water resistent.

jalling 10-02-2010 05:52 PM

I have used plastic mesh (sold for yarn crafts) with good results. Just trim to size and cut a slot for the little tabs. Waterproof too.

quilterj 10-03-2010 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
If you have any Tyvek envelopes or other item, you can cut your circle from them, they are perfect for this...strong, lightweight and water resistent.

What are Tyvek envelopes?

quilterj 10-03-2010 08:55 AM

When putting your snaps on how far down from the top of the bow tucks did you put them?

DoxieMom 10-03-2010 10:10 AM

Very helpful instructions. I'm going to bookmark this for when I try my bow tucks pattern. What is Trimtex?

Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
I use magnetic snaps in all my bags.

When you open the magnetic snap package there will be both a male and female snap each with 2 prongs on backside, along with 2 small brass circle templates. (The circle “template” shows where the prongs will be and the center dot is where the magnet will be.)

I always use Trimtex to “anchor” the snaps to the fabric.

1. Trace 2 circles onto the Trimtex (I use approx. quarter size thread spool).

2. Center the brass circle template and mark the two slots and circle dot onto the Trimtex... then cut the Trimtex circles out.

3. Check the alignment of Trimtex circles to ensure the snaps will close easily. Fuse these Trimtex circles to the wrong side of the corresponding pocketbook lining (where you want the snaps to meet).

4. Use a seam ripper and carefully insert point and rip along the small slot mark (not too much... you just want slot long enough for the prong to fit through).

5. From the right side of the fabric, insert the prongs into the slots.

6. Take one of the brass circle templates and slide it over the prongs (sticking out on Trimtex side). Using a hard surface and flat side of closed scissors, carefully fold each prong so they lay snug across the center of the brass circle. And one half of the magnetic is attached.

Following the same directions, attach the other magnetic snap through the corresponding Trimtex circle.

Hope these directions are clear enough.