Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magnets - how close is too close??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magnets-how-close-too-close-t53178.html)

katier825 07-06-2010 02:01 PM

The subject of keeping the magnetized pincushion away from the computerized machine came up in another post a couple of days ago and I'm still thinking about it. I've heard it many times and have attempted to research it online, but can't find anything specific. Everything I've read just says to keep the magnetized items away from the machine...but nothing says how far.

Has anyone come across an actual recommendation for the distance to keep them apart? A few inches, feet, across the room? Do we have any experts out there that can enlighten us?

MadQuilter 07-06-2010 02:05 PM

The instructor in my machine maintenance class said to keep the magnets away from the motor/computer side of the machine. She said that the needle side was fine.

BellaBoo 07-06-2010 02:08 PM

I was told that the pincushion magnets are not strong enough to hurt the computerized machines. All have a shield around the sensitive computer parts. If a small magnet damaged the machines, most would be ruined before the warranty ran out, why would a manufacturer want that mess?

ktbb 07-06-2010 03:42 PM

My brain always wants to find a logical answer to things. Why not just find out how far your magnet's strength works and keep yours that far away from the machine to be sure? To test your magnet, lay a couple of pins or needles down on a table then slowly move your magnet toward them. AT the point the needles/pins start moving around and being effected by the magnet, lay the magnet down, then measure the distance between the magnet and the pins...that should tell you in generic terms how far away from the machine to keep it. Bellaboo says she was told that pincushion magnets are not strong enough to hurt computerized machine and I won't dispute that, but why take the chance if you only need to keep it 6 inches away to be sure?

dar627742 07-06-2010 04:17 PM

before i got my first computerized machine,i used a mgnetized stitch guide,i loved it ! broke my heart,ai that time i hadn't heard if a 1/4 "foot w/guide.it's great,but the old one could be used up to 2"from the needle.no one has ever explained exactly WHYnot to useit,but never took the chance

littlehud 07-06-2010 08:39 PM

I just keep them far away. Why take a chance with my baby.

wvdek 07-06-2010 10:14 PM

I agree, keep as far away from motoras possible. My baby is too important to fiddle with the consequences.

true4uca 07-06-2010 10:43 PM

I bought my computerized machine and just scanned the book.I had been sewing almost daily for about 2 months wearing two of those magnetic braclets, one on each wrist. I needed to find out what one of the feet could do. I decided to completly read the manual, It said no magnetics near machine.oops. My machine is now 5 years old & I never had a problem. I've also used a magnetic seam guide a time or two.