Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   magnifier for hand sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magnifier-hand-sewing-t248759.html)

annesthreads 06-20-2014 12:02 AM

magnifier for hand sewing

I've been thinking for a while of buying a magnifier to assist me when I'm doing hand sewing, whether quilting, cross stitch or tapestry. I go and look at them, but there's so much choice that I get confused and walk away again - with light, without light? Table or floor standing? etc etc. Now I have a project that is seriously straining my eyes, so I must take the plunge. I'd be interested to know what other people chose and what they think of them.

IrishgalfromNJ 06-20-2014 02:17 AM

I bought a hands free lighted magnifier from Nancy's Notions. The price was reasonable. I love it. It hangs on my neck with a cord and the light is very bright. I mainly bought it to thread needles (I can't see the eye of a needle even with my glasses) but sometimes I leave it on my neck with the light on and it's really helpful seeing my sewing through the magnifier. There are lots of products out there. I settled on this one and I love it. I hope you find something that works for you.

NJ Quilter 06-20-2014 03:38 AM

I use plain old stronger strength eyeglasses. Even though I have prescription eyeglasses for some normal activities (computer, driving) I discussed with my eye doc at the time about the need for greater magnification for hand sewing. He said go buy 'drug store' glasses of x strength. At this point I have them in varying strengths scattered through the house for various needs. I do have a halogen table lamp that I also use for hand sewing. It's infinitely adjustable so that, combined with the stronger glasses is the combo that I use. Works well for me and I don't have something strapped to my head or dangling from my neck.

ManiacQuilter2 06-20-2014 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ (Post 6766033)
I bought a hands free lighted magnifier from Nancy's Notions. The price was reasonable. I love it. It hangs on my neck with a cord and the light is very bright. I mainly bought it to thread needles (I can't see the eye of a needle even with my glasses) but sometimes I leave it on my neck with the light on and it's really helpful seeing my sewing through the magnifier. There are lots of products out there. I settled on this one and I love it. I hope you find something that works for you.

One of my friends showed me her magnifier that sits on her chest. I really am impressed with having it there instead of try to get the Ott lamp positioned correctly.

Onebyone 06-20-2014 04:57 AM

I have a floor lamp with magnifier. I like it. I wish they made a big screen lighted magnifier on a stand.

MarLeClair 06-20-2014 05:59 AM

I bought a pair of lighted glasses. Actually it looks like glass frames with a built in light and holds different strength magnifier. I don't know how I got along without them.

beaglelady 06-20-2014 06:14 AM

Where did you get the lighted glasses Marilyn? I have never heard of them but sound like something I could use. Thanks.

KalamaQuilts 06-20-2014 07:09 AM

has anyone used the clip on to your glasses magnifier. I saw them in a quilt catalog a few weeks ago. there were 1x, 2x, 3x,and 4x strength and they were 15.00 dollars. It is what I plan on getting when I can try them on first.

I had the chest one, hated it, but I'm big chested and that may have had a lot to do with it.

franc36 06-20-2014 08:20 AM

I use the clip-on magnifying glasses. I've used them for about 14 years and couldn't hand sew without them. I also use them when threading my Featherweight and when ripping seams. I have 6 pairs in various rooms. I couldn't sew without them. I have a stand magnifying glass which I never use and magnifying glasses that attach to my Bernina which I seldom use. Those clip-on glasses get used every day.

KalamaQuilts 06-20-2014 08:40 AM

thank you franc36. extra pairs is a good idea, hadn't crossed my mind.
Considering how often I look for my phone...:)