Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Magnifier lights - are bulbs replaceable? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/magnifier-lights-bulbs-replaceable-t302078.html)

Mitty 01-07-2019 05:35 AM

Magnifier lights - are bulbs replaceable?

I’ve been looking for a magnifier lamp and I read a review of one that said that the bulb could not be replaced, which has made me wonder if that is common. Do they generally use specialized bulbs, and can the bulbs be replaced?

EasyPeezy 01-07-2019 09:46 AM

Yes, they are specialized ones but can be replaced. Just have to find
the right one.

Peckish 01-07-2019 02:36 PM

It depends on the manufacturer. I have one I got from an office supply store; that one I can replace the bulbs in. I have another, I believe it came from Ikea, can't replace that one.

There is a LED bulb in my Brother 270D, it went very dim. Couldn't figure out how to replace it, so I took it to the authorized technician and was told that machine is considered "disposable". In other words, you can't replace the bulb, they assume you'll just replace the entire machine. :mad: Very aggravating, especially since the machine works fine!

quiltingshorttimer 01-07-2019 06:36 PM

the Costco's in the KC area have a desk Ott light for about $20 that not only has a digital clock and temp, a port to plug in your phone,but also LED lights that have 3 different levels and you can also turn off the bluer 2 strips of light and have a warmer light, or turn off the warm or use all 3. Liked it enough that I bought one for myself (my ironing board is in the dark almost)one for DH desk and one for each of my kids.

Mitty 01-09-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8188584)
It depends on the manufacturer. I have one I got from an office supply store; that one I can replace the bulbs in. I have another, I believe it came from Ikea, can't replace that one.

There is a LED bulb in my Brother 270D, it went very dim. Couldn't figure out how to replace it, so I took it to the authorized technician and was told that machine is considered "disposable". In other words, you can't replace the bulb, they assume you'll just replace the entire machine. :mad: Very aggravating, especially since the machine works fine!

Wow, that is really, really stupid. You shouldn’t have to replace an entire machine because one lousy lightbulb went out! That’s not something I would normally even think to ask about, because I would just assume on something like a sewing machine that it would be replaceable, but now it’s on my radar. I was surprised enough about the lamp (which is why I posted this question), but I’m am absolutely astonished about the sewing machine. I’m glad I’m not a sewing machine engineer, because I would hate it if it were my job to find new ways to make products crappier.

Mitty 01-09-2019 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8188734)
the Costco's in the KC area have a desk Ott light for about $20 that not only has a digital clock and temp, a port to plug in your phone,but also LED lights that have 3 different levels and you can also turn off the bluer 2 strips of light and have a warmer light, or turn off the warm or use all 3. Liked it enough that I bought one for myself (my ironing board is in the dark almost)one for DH desk and one for each of my kids.

I love this idea. I’ve replaced most of my blue/cool light bulbs with the yellow/warm ones, since the blue-toned light can interfere with sleep at night, but during the day I still like the bluer lights. I found these on the Ott website and am checking them out (didn’t see them on Costco’s but they sell the on the Ott site).

Peckish 01-09-2019 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 8188734)
the Costco's in the KC area have a desk Ott light for about $20.

Is it an actual Ott brand? I did a search on Costco's website for "desk light", then sorted by price, and the least expensive was $30.

quiltingshorttimer 01-09-2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8189519)
Is it an actual Ott brand? I did a search on Costco's website for "desk light", then sorted by price, and the least expensive was $30.

yes, it says Ott on the lamp. Before Christmas they were $15 each and that's when I grabbed 4, then a friend told me the other day that the price was $20 now. Hope you can find that price.