Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Maiden name on quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/maiden-name-quilt-t133283.html)

BrendaK 06-26-2011 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by blueangel
If it is going to a family member I would put my maiden name on it.

Agree. I had a friend that found a quilt at an estate sale with the same middle name as hers so she purchased it. After talking to different family members she found out it was made by a Great Aunt she had never met. Long family story, but she loves the quilt,(feels a connection to what was thought to be the black sheep of the family). We never know who will end up with what do make. BrendaK

Shelley 06-26-2011 11:12 AM

I use my maiden name on the quilt labels. I started doing it because a lot of my quilts were ending up in my Dad's B&B and it explained the connection between the B&B and the quilts. I just continued to do it. When I used to hire a longarmer to quilt my quilts, I used their full name on the label. Some of my customers have been using "Shelley S" as the quilter. We're a small enough county that if anyone wants to figure out who quilted the quilt, they'll be able to figure it out. I've also documented and photographed almost all the quilts I've made and those I've quilted for others.

Lacelady 06-26-2011 02:17 PM

I wouldn't ever use my maiden name on a quilt label for security reasons. In the UK, we are always asked for our maiden name as a security question for Bank accounts etc.

luvstitches 06-26-2011 02:51 PM

I never use my maiden name on my quilts. I've been married for almost 25 years and never thought of putting it on there.
Hmmm...something to think about now.

sushi 06-26-2011 03:12 PM

I include my maiden name (which is now my middle name) on any quilt I make for a member of my husband's family. (I also put it on a quilt I gave my own mother.)

If the quilt is going to someone else, I put only my first and last names.

Maia B 06-26-2011 03:32 PM

My maiden name was my father's last name (of course). But my mother and her parents raised and fed me while my father and his wealthy family did nothing for us. So when I got divorced, I didn't want my ex-husband's name (we didn't have any kids, and it sounds like something naughty). I legally changed my name to my mother's maiden name. She later went back to it also. So my name is like my mother's. I didn't take my 2nd husband's last name. It's 11 letters long and apparently tricky for others. When I spell my son's name, we go back and forth a few times. I'm a geneologist's nightmare! So *I*wouldn't put my maiden name, but I think it's a good idea for heirlooms. Btw, in many countries, the woman doesn't change her name when marrying, so ALL moms have different last names than their kids.

Aurora 06-27-2011 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
No...I've not used my maiden name in over 20 years. I'm who I am now. Not who I was:>

I feel the same! I haven't used mine in over 40 years.

noveltyjunkie 06-27-2011 04:06 AM

I did not take my husband's name when we married, so yes I would use my "maiden name".

Lots of my friends did not change their names either. Is it unusual in the US?

Miss Priss 06-27-2011 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I wouldn't ever use my maiden name on a quilt label for security reasons. In the UK, we are always asked for our maiden name as a security question for Bank accounts etc.

Sometimes we are asked for our mothers maiden name. I use my maiden name as my middle name.

sewobsessed1 06-27-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
No...I've not used my maiden name in over 20 years. I'm who I am now. Not who I was:>

Yup! I think the (huge extended) family of in-laws might take issue if I didn't use my married name, as if I were ashamed of them or something. Besides, I'd much rather associate myself with my in-laws than my birth family any day ... long story.
Another aspect of quilting that I think is personal preference - there are so many!