Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Major Newbie Mistake - Is it Too Late To Have it LongArm Quilted?? Yikes!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/major-newbie-mistake-too-late-have-longarm-quilted-yikes-t286218.html)

mscoco07 02-19-2017 04:40 PM

Thank you.

Originally Posted by Nesie (Post 7767923)
This us stunning. Love the patched dress!

sewingsuz 02-19-2017 04:41 PM

Your work is just awesome!

mscoco07 02-19-2017 04:42 PM

I have cut up some pieces and have myself scheduled to take a class this week to learn FMQ. :)

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7767894)
She is quite stunning!

Since I cannot have my tops quilted by someone else (because I can't claim them as my own if someone else works on them) I can't answer you LA questions. Pretty sure that the sleeve and any embellishments go on after quilting.

So is the only reason you aren't quilting it yourself because you are not experienced in FMQ? How about taking some Craftsy classes and learning how to? You could put this piece aside and quilt it later when you are more confident. This size is definitely manageable on a regular sewing machine. And there is NO rule that says you have to finish something before starting the next. (Or we wouldn't need the UFO thread on the QB)

mscoco07 02-19-2017 04:45 PM

Thanks, I must admit I have over analyzed this piece to death. Then I got ahold of a wonderful book called Collaborative Quilting and have just let the creative process flow. Even adding some embellishments to it that are not in the original design.

Originally Posted by sewingsuz (Post 7767971)

mscoco07 02-19-2017 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7767911)
If you have a walking foot for your machine, just make up a quick quilt sandwich and use whatever thread you have on hand to see if you like the technique.

Cutting up pieces now to start learning FMQ. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...........:)

mscoco07 02-19-2017 04:48 PM

Aww, you guys are truly incredible. Thank you. I feel like I have my own cheerleading squad.

Originally Posted by sewingsuz (Post 7767971)

SHELTIE'SMAMA 02-19-2017 04:59 PM

I'd say go for it and quilt it yourself and make it a true first in all categories. That's a really stunning quilt. Can't wait to see where you go from here.

quiltingshorttimer 02-19-2017 06:23 PM

Long arming would depend on several things--embellishments are a no-no--too easy to hit with the hopping foot and either smash the embellishment or knock the timing off on the hopping foot--neither good. Also for long arm quilting, extra backing and bat is needed on all 4 sides to allow the quilter to clamp it to the frame. I have a question about the hair--is it intended to be sewn down, or allowed to remain loose and flowing? If loose and flowing, the long arm quilter (or you if you end up quilting it) will need to put it into a "pony tail" to keep it from being sewn. blue painters tape would do the trick. The type of quilting you do (or a long arm quilter) will depend upon the type of bat used--check the packages for distance in quilting. If you decide to quilt yourself (which judging by the awesomeness of this quilt I'm guessing you are a quick study and can do this!) look at some Bottom Line thread on Superior Threads, very thin and very strong and will "melt" into your quilt.

mscoco07 02-19-2017 07:26 PM

Thanks. the hair is appliqued down with the exception of the ends. I am going to be sure I understanding what is needed when you want something longarmed going forward. Thanks for the vote of confidence regarding the FMQ. I will see how I do as I study the next two weeks just to get what I am hearing is muscle memory. Someone else suggested the Superior Threads so I am going to order some looking at colors that will blend.

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7768033)
Long arming would depend on several things--embellishments are a no-no--too easy to hit with the hopping foot and either smash the embellishment or knock the timing off on the hopping foot--neither good. Also for long arm quilting, extra backing and bat is needed on all 4 sides to allow the quilter to clamp it to the frame. I have a question about the hair--is it intended to be sewn down, or allowed to remain loose and flowing? If loose and flowing, the long arm quilter (or you if you end up quilting it) will need to put it into a "pony tail" to keep it from being sewn. blue painters tape would do the trick. The type of quilting you do (or a long arm quilter) will depend upon the type of bat used--check the packages for distance in quilting. If you decide to quilt yourself (which judging by the awesomeness of this quilt I'm guessing you are a quick study and can do this!) look at some Bottom Line thread on Superior Threads, very thin and very strong and will "melt" into your quilt.

PaperPrincess 02-19-2017 08:03 PM

I also think she is just stunning. Sounds like you are going to take an FMQ class & do it yourself, which is a great idea. Make sure that you do some practice pieces first to get used to quilting and do a bit of experimentation on motifs that you might use. I would also add a bit of applique to your practice pieces to see what you would like to do in those areas.
As far as taking a top to a long arm quilter, you need to verify with them first, but usually you cut the backing 6 to 12 inches wider and longer than your top. This allows them to attach the backing to the quilting frame. If you supply the batting, you would want it a couple inches wider & longer than the top. The long arm quilter you select will give you the specific sizes they need. You bring the top, backing & batting as separate pieces. Pricing can vary widely by geography and type of quilting. It can be as low as $0.01/ square inch for an 'edge to edge' design which would cover the entire top without regard for piecing or applique. Anything else is considered custom quilting. This is where the quilt designs are informed by the applique and/or piecing on the top. Pricing for this is more than edge to edge, and can be moderate to very costly depending on the type of quilting requested and the skill of the quilter. For small pieces, such as a wall hanging, there normally is a minimum charge. If you do decide to have a piece quilted by a long arm quilter, make sure that you get everything in writing. At a minimum, it should contain size of piece, batting choice, estimated completion date, thread choice type of quilting, and estimated price. Also, be sure to see samples of their work!