Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In Major Preparation for Snowmen (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/major-preparation-snowmen-t260655.html)

Boston1954 02-01-2015 05:54 PM

In Major Preparation for Snowmen

I had considered the Snowman Collector patterns but cannot afford them just now, and after thinking for a bit and getting advice from my friends here, I am making my own.

I searched for clipart and coloring pages with snowmen. Well, to start with. I kept thinking about the cute ones in the Collector series, especially the ones with the kitty and doggie. Then it popped into my head that I could find pictures of animals and put them with the snowmen. I will be calling this endeavor "Animal Lovers". There are twelve blocks of different sizes. I will attempt to space them out to one a month. (who am I kidding, it will probably be done before summer is over).

I'm having so much fun matching certain animals with the snowmen, and auditioning my fabrics. Can't wait to show you the first one.

mmac71 02-01-2015 06:02 PM

SOUNDS LIKE FUN...is it going to be applique?

M.Elizabeth 02-01-2015 06:03 PM

Sounds like a neat idea! I love snowmen patterns, but have yet to make one. Hopefully, you will show yours as they are completed.

Cheshirecatquilter 02-01-2015 07:32 PM

Well, Boston1954, if you are pining for Massachusetts, snowmen are the motifs for you, especially if you are pining specifically for Boston. Poor Boston and eastern MA has gotten hammered this past week, and will be getting socked again overnight and tomorrow. The governor will probably again declare no travel on the roads except for essential workers, so if you were here you would be sitting home sewing to your heart's content -- providing the power wasn't out. Gotta love the weather out here. It's like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you'll get.

lynnie 02-01-2015 07:45 PM

I did that with my cat, dog and cat, farm, chicken , under the sea, fish, and my summer one. You're in for a lot of fun. mine were all appliqued. think of adding words in some of your blocks. it adds some fun to the blocks. I did my blocks in divisibables of 3". on my farm one, I have a big 24 x 24 inch farm in the middle. the hay stack is crocheted of that fun fur yarn. came out adorable. don't have a camera now. but about 3 yrs ago. pics were posted. a lot of fun for sure. show us your progress, please.

Jackie Spencer 02-01-2015 07:51 PM

Oh my gosh I can hardly wait to see. Sounds like a lot of fun too!!!!!

nanacc 02-01-2015 08:15 PM

I have been wanting to do something like this. My daughter and I picked up all the cute coloring books we could find with snowmen, Santa, and other ideas for applique. So far, I haven't even thought about starting on them...too many baby quilts to do....too much fun trying out my new Go Big that Hubby gave me. TOO many ideas!!;)

ManiacQuilter2 02-02-2015 06:34 AM

Sounds like fun. Enjoy and will be looking forward to seeing a photo of your first block.

tessagin 02-02-2015 06:44 AM

There are so many resources. You can also just Google baby animal templates and patterns. Dollar and discount dollar stores have coloring books with baby animals. You can trace, scan and print from the coloring books. Garage sales that advertise women, infant and children often have used coloring books but you can still often trace a design. I have a "really used" coloring book and couple "really used" children's books I have traced and scanned for my own templates.

Ariannaquilts 02-02-2015 07:40 AM

Seems like everyone loves a snow man quilt these days I really want the embroidered one in blue. I just love these and I know yours will be adorable.