Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make ahead gifts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-ahead-gifts-t116806.html)

lynn7448 04-17-2011 09:40 AM

I have a terrible time making gifts ahead of the giving. I would love to have a stash of mug rugs, jewelry bags, etc., but I find I get more inspired color wise when making for a specific person. Does anyone else have this problem? How can I overcome this, as sometimes I don't have the time to make something for that person, but if I had a stash I could just pick, wrap and give it on the spare of the moment. What do you do?

frauhahn 04-17-2011 09:47 AM

If you had a stash of gifts ahead in assorted patterns and colors-you just might find what you need when you have a gift to give. . .

mpspeedy 04-17-2011 09:48 AM

Hi, When I learn a new techinque for making gifts from quilt fabrics etc. I usual make a number of them just in case. I learned how to make bowls and mug mats etc. by wrapping cotton clothesline in scrap fabric and stitching it together with a basic zig zag. I was able to use up a lot of scrap strips and produce mug mats as favors at my annual quilt retreat as well as little holiday gifts for the girls in my Bee and the ladies I quilt with at the local senior center. While I don't do well making handbags I am great at totes. I made small lunch size bags as "stockings" for my daughters, daughter in laws and granddaughters one christmas. It helps to use up odd amounts of leftover fabric and gives me a stash of things to drawl on if I need an unexpected gift.

dd 04-17-2011 09:49 AM

I always think I'm going to make stuff ahead of time but I never do. I just have so many things I want to make and need to get done that I just don't have the time to make things that I don't need right now. Good luck with best intentions.

erstan947 04-17-2011 09:57 AM

Just make a wide variety of items and colors. Then add the last minute personal touch. Having items on hand sure does de-stress my life:)

BellaBoo 04-17-2011 10:03 AM

I make a lot of tote bags. Having a nice tote bag to put the store bought gift in that I buy at the last minute makes me feel like I was prepared. LOL

Tartan 04-17-2011 11:12 AM

When I see a tutorial I think I'd like to try, I do it in a nice neutral colour palette. I have the tissue holders, sets of pillowcases, twister and braid tablerunners, tote bags etc. all ready to go. I also have been turning misc. pillow panels into table toppers and practicing my FMQ. I put all my little projects in the spare room closet until ready for gift giving.

ncsewer 04-17-2011 11:31 AM

My birthday is soon! Sounds like you are ready for everything.

Originally Posted by Tartan
When I see a tutorial I think I'd like to try, I do it in a nice neutral colour palette. I have the tissue holders, sets of pillowcases, twister and braid tablerunners, tote bags etc. all ready to go. I also have been turning misc. pillow panels into table toppers and practicing my FMQ. I put all my little projects in the spare room closet until ready for gift giving.