Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make me like Batik.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-me-like-batik-t100913.html)

quiltingnonie 02-19-2011 05:15 AM

I did not like batiks when they first became popular years ago. But now, that's the first place I head to at the quilt store. As said before, all batiks ARE NOT alike. There are 'imposters' out there! If you get a chance, sit down with a Hancock's of Paducah catalog and look at their fabulous collection of batiks...the colors are amazing.

cat-on-a-mac 02-19-2011 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have loved batiks from the moment I first saw them. Now granted all batiks are not pretty. I like the way the colors and patterns change as you look at different sections of the same fabric. I really like the ones that seem to shimmer. They look tropical to me and I am a big fan of almost anything tropical. I'm not a fan of traditional or country looking fabrics. I guess they make so many types of fabrics because there are so many different people wanting them. :)

Whew! Someone that feels like me! I was reading thru this thread, starting to think I was the oddball here. I love batiks and I think Tropical nailed the reason. They just make me think of the beach and palm trees and warmth .... sigh ....

Kathy-Pgh 02-19-2011 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
I don't care for batik fabrics either.

Ditto

mtnmama 02-19-2011 05:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Daughter In Law bought some batiks several years ago and asked me to make her a quilt with them. At the time I did not know what batiks were, but being the good MIL I agreed. I did not like anything about them, mostly because I hand pieced and hand quilted the project. Now, I love them. The colors are beautiful, that is what draws me to them. I actually made her another quilt for Christmas this last year but that one was done on the sewing machine. It turned out beautiful. I chose a pattern with large pieces to show off the colors and it also went together pretty fast. When your gift list includes several quilts, you have to chose patterns that go together quick. So, I guess I'm a convert.

ThimbleShy 02-19-2011 05:58 AM

I don't like it either. Feels slippery and like poly to me...

lillybeck 02-19-2011 06:02 AM

They are not for me either. I love to see everyone else's quilts on here but it is not something I want to work with. I see many others that agree so we are not alone.

Zoe 02-19-2011 06:11 AM

I love batiks--the bold colors, the endless variety, but what I like most is that they blend so well or conversely contrast in the patterns I use. I also like that for most batiks there does not seem to be a "wrong" side. If I am using an intricate pattern, with many pieces and I inadvertently reverse one of the pieces, you cannot tell. Each to her/his own. :-D

susanwilley 02-19-2011 06:12 AM

Could someone post a few pics? I'm not even sure I know what fabric that is.

joyce888 02-19-2011 06:16 AM

I LOVE batiks! I would guesstimate over half of my stash is batiks. I'm going to post my first batik quilt. I feel batiks can give a lot of movement and depth to a quilt. But batiks just like any other fabric can be poor quality; using a trusted manufacture is well worth the extra dollars.

redeagle 02-19-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
I am not fond of batiks either. they are hard to machine quilt on for one thing, they are stiffer than most other fabric and just don't feel "cushy"

They are also hard to hand quilt.