Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/make-over-sized-then-trim-size-vs-no-excess-trimming-t254261.html)

Bree123 09-24-2014 11:58 AM

Since I do a lot of hand applique, I cut them larger & then trim down to size because sometimes the applique will slightly distort the fabric & then I'm off by 1/8" somewhere. Much better to cut larger & trim down, imho.

For piecing without applique, I cut to the exact size. I have a triangle ruler & it has been a godsend. Haven't had any issues with my triangles since I bought it.

piepatch 09-25-2014 02:21 AM

I make my HST's bigger, then trim down, because I think they are more accurate that way........and easier!

Wanabee Quiltin 09-25-2014 03:36 AM

I make bigger and cut down, but it's really only a trim. I hate to waste fabric, so it's really just a trim.

petpainter 09-25-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6901780)
I overcut HST and Flying geese. I use bloc-loc rulers for the HST. They have come out with rulers for flying geese, but have not tried them. Oh, I also over cut the squares for 'flippy corners' like snowball blocks.
I often start with a pattern, but when I'm done it's sometimes hard to tell it's the same quilt!

I agree!! The Bloc Loc ruler is the absolute best for HST's! They have great templates for perfection. The ARE pricy but worth it.

ladydukes 09-25-2014 06:28 AM

I use Triangulation software when I have a lot of HST to make. When I made my Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice King Size quilt, it called for 1.5" finished HST. I needed an enormous amount for the pinwheels. With Triangulations I made about 23-24 sheets of 24 per sheet of HST at a time. Every HST came out perfect, no trimming needed. I LOVE that software!

Wintersewer 09-25-2014 07:30 AM

I add the inch and then trim after pressing. I make up my own designs (sort of...there are many old blocks using these.) with blocks using squares, HST's and a block I read about on this group called, "Boston Blocks". The possibilities are endless. I would rather do a good job on a simple design, than a poor job on a difficult block.

citruscountyquilter 09-25-2014 02:09 PM

I add an 1" and cut down. I rarely use a pattern as I like to create my own quilts.

faykilgore 09-25-2014 03:07 PM

I've done both. I get frustrated with the "wasted time" with the trimming, then get frustrated with the "imperfect blocks" and go back to trimming. I've followed a lot of patterns and I've created my own. The patterns are a lot easier as I've spent WEEKS with the design wall trying to figure out how to put them together!

solstice3 09-25-2014 03:14 PM

I've only done the 7/8 but 1inch sounds like a plan!

MadQuilter 09-25-2014 03:54 PM

I sew the HSTs oversize and trim. It may add some time and effort to the project but it is worth it to me in the end. I have tried the 7/8 and it never came out square or the right size.

Not sure what you are asking about the pattern. I often use the "It's OK if you sit on my quilt" book to pick out blocks. From there I decide on the size and the fabric. So I use a pattern but I also put my own spin on it. There have been occasions when I used a regular pattern but then I either made a booboo or ran out of the fabric and had to get creative.