Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a 4 patch posie quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-4-patch-posie-quilt-t10557.html)

Quilting Aggi 08-25-2008 02:29 PM

I saw a link here before on the 4 patch posies and just loved them. I decided to make one and have been playing with fabrics. I want to make one with 20 blocks and have my squares 4 1/2". Does anyone know how much fabric I would need to make one of these using the stack and whack method???

Any help would be very very VERY appreciated!!!

Cheers!!!

Blue Bell 08-25-2008 05:29 PM

Hi Aggi,
I am presently making a 4 patch posie quilt. I found that choosing the fabric was the hardest part. The instructor said that we needed at least a 12 inch repeat. I found fabric that had a 26 inch repeat. This allowed me to cut 6 inch squares and when the 4 blocks are sewn, it measures 11 1/2 inches.
DO NOT wash the fabric because it will be distorted in pressing.
Cut the fabric in half, lengthwise, using 1/2 for the squares and the other 1/2 for borders. You need to find your repeat. You don't square up the first edge because this will let you know which piece is your cutting piece, or template. You place the first cut on the fabric and line it up so it matches. When you have all 4 pieces cut, you place them on top of each other and use the flat headed pins to hold the 4 pieces together. Place the pins so you don't cut over them with your rotary cutter, like I did.
Decide on the size you want your cut to be, it will depend on your pattern repeat. Because my repeat was 26 inches, I was able to cut 6 inch strips and then cut those strips into 6 inch squares. You will be cutting 4 squares that are the same with each cut.
I was able to sew all the squares, twelve, in about and hour or two.
I hope that this is helpful to you.
Blue Bell

Quilting Aggi 08-26-2008 03:05 AM

Thanks Blue Bell!!! I will keep that in mind when I shop for my fabrics!

Rainbow 08-27-2008 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
I saw a link here before on the 4 patch posies and just loved them. I decided to make one and have been playing with fabrics. I want to make one with 20 blocks and have my squares 4 1/2". Does anyone know how much fabric I would need to make one of these using the stack and whack method???

Cheers!!!

WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE DIRECTIONS TO THIS QUILT.....PLEASE.

beachlady 08-27-2008 10:50 AM

Me too.

Izy 08-27-2008 11:50 AM

This is the tutorial I played with..great fun!!

http://www.bobrow.net/kimberly/Quilt...ss/index1.html

But there is also the square pattern, basically just cutting a repeat of the pattern four times exactly, then stack them up and cut into quarters then each four identical corners (which match exactly) can be put together to make a kaleidescope effect, don't forget you can turn each corner in or out to whichever formation pleases you the most. This version is easier than the above method :D

KyTriplets 08-27-2008 04:17 PM

Have you seen the 4PP Supreme pattern? It puts it on point and looks really great. It adds a whole other look to it. Really, really pretty. I recently saw one that looked like blue china. Gorgeous!

Butterflyspain 08-28-2008 03:25 AM

Thanks Izy, looked at the stack and whacks, really like this effect.

Got to try at least one block to see what it comes out like.

Elle

Izy 08-28-2008 03:30 AM

Elle, an easy way is to use a square ruler and line up a prominent part of the repeat and cut it out exactly the same four times the quarter cut them!! Have fun!!

Bevanger 08-28-2008 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi

Cheers!!!

What does it mean by Stack & Whack?