Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a Bargello (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-bargello-t178730.html)

Cagey 02-09-2012 07:38 AM

Making a Bargello

I purchased a book last night "Bargello Quilts" by Margie Edie and I was surprised that a Bargello is made in tubes.
It that the way everyone makes them? After a lot of studying this book I may be ready to try this one in a year or two.

MdmSew'n'Sew 02-09-2012 07:44 AM

that's the way I've always seen them done ... any other way would be too tedious and laborious for words - I sure wouldn't do it if I couldn't do the strips/tubes way ... someday, when I get to it on the list!

mighty 02-09-2012 07:48 AM

I have purchased fabrics to make one, but have not started yet. To my understanding they are all made this way.

Lori S 02-09-2012 08:13 AM

I have doen many bargello patterns, many are done in the tube methods. There are others that have very long strip sets, and some smaller strip sets that are joined.
When I did my first bargello, I really really struggled with the whole tube , and unsewing ... but after about 5 strips , it was so easy it became one of my favorite methods. It does take working thru that first one or at least part of the first one to get it all to "click" for many of us. But once it does .... WOW so much fun.

Sadiemae 02-09-2012 08:33 AM

:)They are a lot of fun to make.

Sew N Tune 02-09-2012 11:19 AM

One or two year??? Is that how long it takes to get your nerve up to do one?? Just wondering. It's on my to do list.

woody 02-09-2012 01:52 PM

Give one a go, they are not that hard. :)

Dolphyngyrl 02-09-2012 04:20 PM

I am taking a class this saturday, have been scared to do one by myself so we will see if i will dive into the books

DogHouseMom 02-09-2012 05:18 PM

A lot are done in tubes, it depends on how many times the pattern changes. Sometimes tubing it is more work than not tubing. My avatar is an example of a bargello that is NOT tubed because of the constant changes.

I have her book too and before I attempted one of hers I took an online class at Quiltuniversity.com with Ruth Blanchette called "Bargello Seasons". In the class you do 4 bargello each one slightly different, progressing in difficulty. All 4 of the bargello in this class are done using the tube method.

The class is all online, the teacher sends you the instructions and you can logon to a board and ask questions and post pictures for her to give you tips etc. I highly recommend it.

My avatar was made in her second class "Bargello blues".

Buckeye Rose 02-09-2012 05:22 PM

Bargellos are so much fun...and much easier than the pattern looks....after the first few strips, you will look forward to adding more and more strips....the pattern shows better with each strip and it gets very exciting....I've been known to holler with excitement at seeing the pattern emerge! LOL