Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making BIG IRONING BOARD - batting, insulbrite, or both? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-big-ironing-board-batting-insulbrite-both-t166797.html)

Denise S 11-07-2011 07:37 AM

Making BIG IRONING BOARD - batting, insulbrite, or both?

I have searched and read a lot on the board concerning this topic. There is a variety of fabrics people have used. My question is this....what is the advantage to using insulbrite as opposed to just W&N batting for the pressing surface?

I am going to use either 2 layers of W&N batting, 1 layer canvas on top.... or 1 layer of insulbrite, 1 layer of W&N, 1 layer of canvas on top.

Insulbrite or no insulbrite? What makes it better? Or maybe there really isn't a big difference?

bearisgray 11-07-2011 07:45 AM

I purchased a Big Board and a cover to go with it.

The "batting" is just a piece of about 1/8 inch thick craft polyester
The cover is made of a heavy (ivory colored) cotton fabric that resembles denim, duck, or twill. It is elasticized around the edges.

It was also cut VERY skimpily and I use elastic strips pinned to the edges and going underneath the ironing board to help hold it in place.

The fabric shrinks - a lot - every time it is washed, so I have to put it back on the board when it is still quite damp for it to be almost big enough.

Other than the size issue, I've found the two layers (1/8 inch craft polyester and cotton cover) to be very adequate for all types of ironing and pressing.

I prefer to be able to remove the cover so I can wash it now and then over having something stapled or nailed to the board.

thepolyparrot 11-07-2011 10:01 AM

I made one of those big boards with canvas and one layer of cotton batting and I really LOVE it! :)

But when I'm doing a lot of steaming or starch preparation, the batt gets saturated in spots, so I know it's transferring to the OSB.

I'm thinking that the next time I make one of these, I will cover the top surface of the OSB with heavy duty aluminum foil, to keep the moisture from migrating into the wood. (preventing warping)

I will still use the one layer of 100% cotton batting because it really helps you get things creased unlike a soft, cushiony surface. But I'll bet the foil behind it will reflect heat and keep the moisture in the cotton. At least, that's the theory. ;)

MrsBoats 11-07-2011 10:07 AM

I redid my ironing board last year and just used pieces of an old wool Army blanket for the padding. I actually like it better than whatever is under a store-bought ironing board cover.

susie-susie-susie 11-07-2011 10:12 AM

I just made myself a large ironing surface that will fit over my ironing board. I put 2 layers of batting and had my son drill holes in the wood board. That way the steam will not saturate the padding. It works just fine.
Sue

Joset 11-08-2011 04:27 AM

My dh made me a big board last year and i just
used the batting with denium i really like it
but i also have this old wool blanket i never
use. when i remove mine to wash it i am going
to put that in for batting. good idea.

MOBRIDGE MOM 11-08-2011 05:58 AM

When I did mine I used a W&N layer, Insulbrite layer and then covering layer. I like to have more cushion on my boards.

cheriami 11-08-2011 06:07 AM

I never thought of the aluminum foil but I think it is a smart idea! My husband made mine according to the directions we found from plywood with W&N for the batting and then I covered it with a canvas fabric stapled down and then a cute fabric which is duct taped to the reverse so I can easily change it.

However, when I iron in one spot a lot, I start to smell the glue from the wood. I bet the foil would prevent this.

jgangloff 11-08-2011 06:08 AM

My husband and I recently made a large board to cover my regular ironing board. I just used a polyester batting. For the cover I used the silver heat reflecting fabric. Sorry I can't remember what it is called. The board itself is 1/2" thick particle board. At least I think that's what it's called. We purchased it at Lowes and it was what they recommended. It's 25 by 65 and I just love it! I wonder how I ever lived without it. If I'm using starch, I throw a large piece of muslin over it. Much easier to wash that since the cover is stapled on. I think the total cost was about $35 and I have a second board to use plus a large leftover piece.

CoyoteQuilts 11-08-2011 06:13 AM

I made mine with insulbrite next to the board and one layer of W&N on top of that. The reflective properties of the insulbrite help with pressing and the W&N give some cushion. The only thing I will change when I re-do my board is make the cover removable instead of stapled to the board....