Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   making a butterfly quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-butterfly-quilt-t139313.html)

Dooneygone 07-21-2011 03:16 PM

Eeeeks! I thought I was using fusible web but I just saw that I am using fusible interfacing. I have lots of butterflies made and fused and they look fine. I looked on the old message boards and it doesn't seem like a fatal mistake. What exactly is the difference between the two? I intend to just applique them on squares. If this isn't right plz tell me so I can get the web stuff. I really don't want to "stick" them to the square anyways. Thnx, Pauline

nativetexan 07-21-2011 03:22 PM

well it is only interfacing. like lining your butterflies. it just gives them more body and stability. they won't fuse down to your background fabric though, i wouldn't think. I assume you were going to sew them down anyway. you will just have to pin them first.

Dooneygone 07-21-2011 03:46 PM

Thx...I take it that the fusible web is sticky on both sides....but I will be pinning and sewing down the center of the Butterfly, around the wings and a couple curved lines on the wings. Thanks for a quick response. I am going to go and continue now. Pauline

quilt-n-girl 07-21-2011 04:20 PM

Hi Pauline,
Just wanted to tell you that my name is Pauline, too. My dad named me after one of his girlfriends. I was very suprised to find that out. I told my mother I would never let my husband name a child after an old girlfriend, Any way just wanted to say hi, I don't find to many people with our name.
Pauline

hopetoquilt 07-21-2011 04:57 PM

How do you plan to applique? Machine applique should be fine but might be difficult to hand applique through. How thick is the fusible interfacing? Some are very thin and some are much heavier.

Dooneygone 07-21-2011 05:28 PM

I can assure you I wasn't his girlfriend. hahaha. My grandmother suggested Pauline. Supposedly it means little. Tough to live up to that. Pauline

Dooneygone 07-21-2011 05:32 PM

It is pretty thin. I am going to machine applique it. (first time for applique. I panicked when I noticed the word "interfacing" after I had Accuquilt-cut a load of butterflies. But now that I find out it is okay, I am so relieved. I will be blanket=stitching it and add some lines on the wings and down the middle. Thx for your response. Pauline

Dolphyngyrl 07-21-2011 06:22 PM

You should be fine if you do the eleanor burns method with fusible interfacing, you could even make your butterflies puffy if you wanted

QuiltnLady1 07-21-2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
You should be fine if you do the eleanor burns method with fusible interfacing, you could even make your butterflies puffy if you wanted

With fusible web you normally do a raw edge applique, with fusible interfacing using the Eleanor Burns method, you have a more finished edge.

Dooneygone 07-22-2011 04:28 AM

the problem now is...I have already fused a lot the butterflies with fusible interfacing and was planning to use a blanket stitch on the raw edges. Will this work ok? Thanks for for your advice Pauline