Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making Curved Corners w/out the Curved Corner Ruler??-HELP!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-curved-corners-w-out-curved-corner-ruler-help-t182081.html)

sewbeadit 03-08-2012 05:56 PM

I couldn't live without a good saucer for corners and template for other things! Go for it, it will be fun for you to do.

quiltingfan 03-08-2012 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 5043219)
I have a binding machine and I prefer doing curve corners on it than straight. I do the straight on my reg machine.

I have a binding machine for my janomebut do not know how to use it. Can you help me? Feel free to pm me. Thanks. Beth

Sally J 03-08-2012 07:26 PM

I do rounded corners all the time. I also use a plate to make a gentle curve. Bias Binding is not hard to cut and is really easy to use. I sew iron the front with a walking foot and do the hand sticking on the back. They look great. Hope this helps.

AliKat 03-09-2012 09:38 AM

You could always do 'envelope' style quilts. That way there is NO binding. They are much quicker.

ali

LadyElisabeth 03-09-2012 09:42 AM

I didn't know there was a "binding" machine. I think rounded corners might be more "comforting" on the Linus quilts. Just my 2 cents.

GrannieAnnie 03-09-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by cny_sewer39 (Post 5042442)
Good Afternoon Every1,

I hope that all is well with you & your families. I know that there are ALOT of good ideas, but right now I am CLUELESS. lololol. I am making quilts for my local Project Linus Chapter. I would like to make the corners of the quilts curved. I hope that it will make putting the binding on alot easier and faster. I am OPEN to ANY & ALL suggestions. Please & Thank you in advance. Please keep the ideas coming. I eagerly await your suggestions.

Thank you again.

Have a blessed day.

debra

After you eat supper tonight, take you plate to the kitchen and wash it. BEHOLD!~ A curved corner marker!

Tartan 03-09-2012 10:08 AM

I've used various round objects over the years to round the corners of my quilts. I use bias binding if I am going to go around curves. The last quilt with rounded corners, I cheated. I used fabric cut straight of grain for the straight part of the quilt and sewed about a 12 inch bias sections on as I came almost to the corners. I sewed the bias section around the curve and then re-attached the straight binding and continued. Of course I ended up with 8 join spots but the fabric was a dark pattern it was hardly noticeable. If the quilt is not going into competition, do what works for you.

ube quilting 03-09-2012 03:48 PM

Don't be disheartened about bias binding. I do curved corners all the time. I use a plate to draw the line where I want it to be in the corners. The tip about not cutting it before you sew the binding on is great. I also use straight grain binding for the straight parts of the quilt. What I do is lay the binding along the edge set with just a few pins to keep in place. When I get to a curve I mark a spot just before and after the cure on the binding. I do this all the way around the quilt. Then I splice bias binding between the marks I made at each curve. I takes a few extra minutes but works great. Hope this can help some.
peace

Dalronix 11-16-2014 06:25 PM

I'm glad this old thread came up on a Google search for curved corner rulers. Saved me $30. :)

gale 11-16-2014 08:27 PM

Wow, old thread! lol. I use a salad plate and just use my rotary cutter against it like I would a regular ruler and I cut it before I start binding. I love using bias binding-I find it's easier than straight.