Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making flying geese (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-flying-geese-t196343.html)

jcrow 07-31-2012 09:28 AM

Making flying geese

Say you are making a 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" flying goose. After you sew the first 2 1/2" piece to the rectangle, do you press it open and then close it again and sew the other 2 1/2" piece to the other side? I'm watching the free BOM by craftsy and Amy sewed the second 2 1/2" onto the rectangle with the first 2 1/2" piece laying flat against the 4 1/2" rectangle. Have I been doing it wrong all this time? I thought you ironed open the first 2 1/2" piece and then (leaving it open) sew the 2nd 2 1/2" piece on to the rectangle. Am I making sense? I am totally confused!

AliKat 07-31-2012 09:49 AM

Wish I could understand what you mean, but I don't want to sign up for a free BOM. So. I'll give this a try.

If you are talking about using a 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" rectangle and two 2 1/2" squares then I can tell you that I sew on the same corner for each goose just a hair inside the diagonal line, fold it at the stitching line to make sure the rectangle size remains intact, set my seams, then press the seam toward the corner covered [not open.] Lastly I trim the seam. This way all my geese are consistent. I usually am doing more than one goose. Next I do the other corner in the same manner. Some of my friends leave the base rectangle intact, I don't as I don't want all that bulk.

ali

kristakz 07-31-2012 09:52 AM

You have to sew the second piece with the first opened up. Otherwise, you are going to end up with a crease when you try to open the first piece later.
It doesn't look like I can get to the craftsy link without signing up. But I can't see how it can possibly work the way you describe.

Termi 07-31-2012 09:57 AM

I wasn't able to get to the pattern on Craftsy either but it sounds like you've been doing it right.

saperry 07-31-2012 10:34 AM

check out Quilterscache.com. Marcia has really good directions on some of her patterns on doing flying geese. you leave the 2.5" square opened up otherwise you'll end up sewing across the the bottom of it and it won't open up to make the goose.

Termi 07-31-2012 10:41 AM

Hmmmmm, ok I watched the video jcrow. I can see how you would be confused. It doesn't show her actually pressing the right side open with the left side still against the rectangle. I don't see how that could work. You've been doing it right. I would call that detail to Craftsy's attention.

alfosa421 07-31-2012 05:03 PM

Try Missouri Quilt Company on Youtube They make it very easy

QuiltnLady1 07-31-2012 05:53 PM

jcrow -- I think you are doing it right. I can't imagine them getting a nice flying geese block without pressing one side open before sewing the other side. As others have said, you would get a crease.

GemState 07-31-2012 10:01 PM

If you don't press the first square up before sewing the second square on there is no way you can have a flat flying geese. You would have a 'krink' at the point and know right away it wasn't correct.

Ellietow 07-31-2012 10:21 PM

Basically, she made a boo-boo, and they did not edit her mistake totally out of the video. Earlier, she had pressed that first corner open and had even commented on how important it was to have it pressed open.