Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This is making my head hurt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-my-head-hurt-t233917.html)

1screech 11-04-2013 08:20 PM

I just started sewing it together and when I got it wide enough, I started sewing on the end.

Quilting Nana 11-04-2013 09:08 PM

I love making my backs with left over fabric from the front. I just make it up as I go along. It usually comes out great. The people I give my quilts sometimes like the back just as much as the front.

DOTTYMO 11-04-2013 09:24 PM

If you are sending quilt out to long armer ask if they are prepared to quilt a pieced backing. I know one who after breaking numerous needles refuses to do another one. The needle kept breaking over the seams where the back and front matched . All the layers were too thick. If you are doing it yourself go carefully.
This sounds as if I don't like pieced backing which is not true as I frequently do them.

quiltsRfun 11-04-2013 09:29 PM

I usually draw a diagram. It helps me to see it rather than going through a bunch of figures.

quiltingshorttimer 11-04-2013 10:35 PM

Keep in mind that more seams in the back can be a problem--on the long arm seams can cause problems if front & back line up on the seams. Also, if you want the back pieced design to line up in a specific way, you need to be very accurate--mark both top and back centers with a pin woven it it (alert your LA) so that it works.

mpeters1200 11-05-2013 09:54 AM

I found this thread extremely helpful. I made a baby quilt recently and had some Sesame Street fabric that would work, but doesn't match eachother. I think I'll use the biggest piece and add a strip of solids that I used on the front. I've not pieced a back before, but this would be a small enough projects to try it out on!

debbiemarie 11-05-2013 11:57 AM

I have a question about piecing the back of a quilt? I have pieced a back with large squares, if one pieces the back with small pieces won't that cause a problem where the needle will need to go through possibly very thick/hard seams?

twinkie 11-05-2013 02:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You are getting a lot of good ideas on the board. I made a scrappy for my granddaughter's wedding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445097[/ATTACH]

Then I pieced the back of it with many of the colors on the front

[ATTACH=CONFIG]445101[/ATTACH]

wishfulthinking 11-05-2013 03:42 PM

There's also another free Craftsy class called Creative Quilt Backs, taught by Elizabeth Hartman. Loved the class. She is an excellent teacher and the technique is fun.

DonnaPBradshaw 11-05-2013 08:28 PM

If you have one fabric that is dominant but need to add to make it the size you want it to be, I follow this rule: add the extra fabric to the center and then use the dominant fabric for the sides. Never add a strip to the edge! you will not be happy if your binding gets in the way of that strip of fabric on the edge. hope that makes sense!