Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making potholders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-potholders-t61428.html)

stchenfool 08-27-2010 04:48 AM

So, do you have the web address for the potholder swap? Thanks!
:mrgreen:

LiveToQuilt 08-27-2010 05:56 AM

The directions say to put the shiny side toward the hot (or cold)object.

I have found that insulbrite is not enough, by itself, for potholders. You need that extra layer of cotton batting.

grann of 6 08-27-2010 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by LiveToQuilt

I have found that insulbrite is not enough, by itself, for potholders. You need that extra layer of cotton batting.

I find that "shiny side toward the hot" direction rather silly. Once you have the pot holder made, how do you know which side to use? I use both sides of my pot holders. Who stands there and looks to see which side is up before they pick up a hot pot? Surely not me.

Bev 08-27-2010 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Originally Posted by LiveToQuilt

I find that "shiny side toward the hot" direction rather silly. Once you have the pot holder made, how do you know which side to use? I use both sides of my pot holders. Who stands there and looks to see which side is up before they pick up a hot pot? Surely not me.

Sometimes directions are a little too picky. This just doesn't make sense. Maybe she intends for us to make a secret mark on one side to indicate the shiny one. But knowing my mind, I'd forget whether the shiny side was the "hot" side or the "cold" side. Oh well ... deep sigh.

8-)

Barb130 08-27-2010 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by cizzors
So is it shiny side up or down with the insulbrite. Also, batting on top or bottom?

I hope you find an answer, I have wondered the same thing about the insulbrite.....which side up or down.

LiveToQuilt 08-27-2010 07:03 AM

Usually, I grab my potholders with the 'top' side (which is usually the more decorative side) next to my hand. Could be I am a little OCD, but that is what I do.

I have just recently finished making casserole carriers for both my DD and DDIL for Christmas, and this bit of information was quite helpful as I sandwiched the fabrics.

I suppose this subject is pretty much like the Ann Landers agrument of which way to place your toilet paper -- rolling off the top or rolling from the back and under the roll.

slbram17 08-27-2010 07:28 AM

I love the youtube link for the criss cross potholders. Thanks.
Serita

doowopddbop 08-27-2010 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by twinkie

Originally Posted by lynnie
hi dotty, i just made a bunch using 1 layer of otton and one layer of insulabrite

I use 2 layers of cotton batting and 1 layer of insulbrite (I get mine through Connecting Threads) in my pot holders and my ironing boards.

Same here. I put the Insulbrite between the cotton. I quilt a yard of fabric at the same time, then cut out the sizes I want-- usually 9" squares, (or shapes - sometimes it's a heart) and add a binding.

grann of 6 08-27-2010 07:51 AM

Love your hearts :!: :lol:

grandma Janice 08-27-2010 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Have you all seen the potholder swap? Now I'm hooked!

where do ypou see this swap? I might be interested