Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making potholders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-potholders-t61428.html)

quiltingnana1 08-28-2010 04:56 AM

I use insulbrite and cotton batting. Have never thought about the ironing board cover idea. I think it would need to be one with the heat protection. Also use insulbrite for placemats.

dotcomdtcm 08-28-2010 04:58 AM

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this topic. What a wealth of ideas!

cajundad00 08-28-2010 05:54 AM

Where is that potholder swap

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Have you all seen the potholder swap? Now I'm hooked!

Bev 08-28-2010 06:09 AM

8-)[/quote]
Sounds like you have a fun and productive day ahead of you. O made them one year for all the female family members. Another year I mad trivets by sewing two pieces of fabric together leaving on end open. I then sewed channels into it and filled the channels with rice leaving just enough head space to top stitch the opening closed. They loved these too.[/quote]

This sounds good too. Who wouldn't want to have a pretty and useful trivet. I'll put that on my list. Sounds easy enough. Maybe matching trivets and potholders for the lucky recipients.
I love this board!

iltoaz 08-28-2010 09:05 AM

Looks like it's potholders for Christmas. What a quick project.

QUILT4JOY 08-28-2010 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by pstoner

Originally Posted by retired2pa
I use Insulbrite from Joann's. It's very cheap and also a layer of cotton batting.

So my question is...do I need special batting? I was wanting to make some with my scraps, but was unsure if they required something special in them (non burning).

I've used old cotton towels. 2 layers thick; sew layer to each pot holder side and quilt each one separately then join the sides with binding and a couple of "ties" in the center to hold.

JacquelineVH 08-28-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Please tell me what materials you prefer, batting/insulated fabric, and where you buy it. One of my old books says to buy an ironing board cover & cut it up!! Thanks once again.

what a great idea!

ganny 08-28-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have used heavy duty aluminium foil between cotton batting. Washes fine.

Really! Who'da thought!

Melinda in Tulsa 08-28-2010 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ganny

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have used heavy duty aluminium foil between cotton batting. Washes fine.

Really! Who'da thought!

Do you quilt thru the aluminium foil like regular?

Melinda in Tulsa 08-28-2010 06:58 PM

I did a *duh* last night. I was up until 2:30 this morning sewing, making a sample pot holder (never made one before.) After I got it quilted and the binding put on, I realized I only put one layer of w&n inside it. Really ticked me off as I was really pleased how it turned out. I guess it will make a nice candle mat, or something to put under a warm plate in my lap.