Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   making a quilt from clothes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-clothes-t95943.html)

Linda R 02-01-2011 04:51 PM

Three years ago my best friend passed away. This past week, family and friends got together to celebrate her husbands 65th birthday in S.C. While I was there I was given 8 bags of my best friends clothes and asked to make quilts for her children and grandchildren. ( I think all her dresses and good clothes were given away shortly after her death, so this must be what was in the dressers etc.) The first problem I see is that most of the clothes I was given are sweathers, turtlenecks, and tops that are blends. I've been making quilts for a couple of years, but consider myself still a novice at quilt making. Since most of the tops seem to be blends, not true cottons...can I do anything with it and if so...what? Any help would be appreciated! I don't want to disappoint this family.

kbonafede 02-01-2011 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Linda R
Three years ago my best friend passed away. This past week, family and friends got together to celebrate her husbands 65th birthday in S.C. While I was there I was given 8 bags of my best friends clothes and asked to make quilts for her children and grandchildren. ( I think all her dresses and good clothes were given away shortly after her death, so this must be what was in the dressers etc.) The first problem I see is that most of the clothes I was given are sweathers, turtlenecks, and tops that are blends. I've been making quilts for a couple of years, but consider myself still a novice at quilt making. Since most of the tops seem to be blends, not true cottons...can I do anything with it and if so...what? Any help would be appreciated! I don't want to disappoint this family.

I think you should gracefully decline making any quilts.
Then ask if they want to pick up the bags of clothing, or if they would like to donate the clothing to some place where women can get them who need them.
Making quilts from "non-quilt fabrics" is a nightmare. It is much easier, much better to preserve your sanity, say a very gracious and very FIRM "NO" to the opportunity, and get on with quilting something you wanted to quilt which has the correct fabrics......afterall, we all know that quilting is the most gratifying thing we can do for ourselves. Quilt for you!!

quilter1943 02-01-2011 04:58 PM

I use a lot of different fabrics for my project Linus quilts because we try to use the fabrics we're given before we get into our own. Just remember that cotton may shrink and anything with polyester will not. Of course,t hese have probably been washed a lot and if they've been dried, they won't shrink any more. I wouldn't use any rayon because it does not wash and dry well. If you use the turtle necks knits, just put a light weight stabilizer on it before you cut. What a special gift for you and your friend's family.

quilter1943 02-01-2011 04:59 PM

I use a lot of 100% cotton shirt fabric from shirts I find in thrift stores and it's fine. Sometimes the prints are great and nothing you would find in fabric stores.

knlsmith 02-01-2011 05:11 PM

This is one I made. It was not a nightmare, just took a little more time to cut the pieces because of getting rid of seams. I considered it a great honor and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I used lightwieght stabilizer on just the stretchy stuff. some of it was cotton button up shirts so i didn't stabilize them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33011-1.htm

mommamac 02-01-2011 05:41 PM

can you use small pieces & applique onto cotton blocks?

june6995 02-01-2011 06:04 PM

I don't think people have any idea how much work goes into making a quilt. But then to ask you to make quilts for all the family, is a pretty big order. On top of that, the items they gave you are not traditional quilt fabrics.

I agree with Kathy that it would be in your own best interest to change your mind, if you have not already, and tell them it is not something you feel you can do. If they asked questions, then I would give them answers, because they obviously have no idea what they are asking. One quilt would be a big project, and then for children and grandchildren. What do they think you are, a Factory?

I get upset just hearing the audacity of some people, friends or not.

June

Scissor Queen 02-01-2011 06:31 PM

The one thing you might be able to do fairly easy is make pillows from the sweaters. I have seen some and they're really cute. I'll bet if you search there are instructions somewhere online.

LeeAnn 02-01-2011 07:49 PM

What an honor! I've made numerous memorial quilts with everything from hunting vests to knits to uniforms and tee shirts. I would not use sweaters due the raveling. I hope they are paying you and do not assume you will do it for free. It's very time consuming. I'm certain the family will love whatever you make.

Sandee 02-01-2011 10:32 PM

I agree with kbonafede