Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making quilt labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-labels-t295843.html)

grandma jo of 6 03-29-2018 04:41 PM

Making quilt labels

I have always had invaluable help from you guys in the past and am hoping you can help me once again! Has anyone ever used gel pens for writing on the label? Is there a way to make gel ink permanent?

Thanks!

Boston1954 03-29-2018 04:49 PM

I have never tried it myself, but you could do a little test on a small piece of the same fabric you would use for the actual label, and then set it with a dry iron.

soccertxi 03-29-2018 04:49 PM

the only pens that work for me are the black fabric markers. I find them at Michaels with the rest of the fabric markers (like for marking up a shirt...) I do heat set them. Sharpies, gel pens, Micron all do not work for me. Must be the water or detergent...

Peckish 03-29-2018 08:57 PM

Well, this is interesting.

Several years ago, hubby dropped a gel pen on a cotton dress shirt and it wicked up an awful stain about 2-3 inches in diameter. I tried everything and I mean everything to get that stain out. Finally turned to the internet for help. In my research I found several law enforcement sites that recommended you write checks with gel ink, because criminals can't bleach the ink out. (My first thought was who writes checks anymore, and my second thought was bleaching checks seems like a lot of work to do, especially when there are so many easier ways to defraud victims, but I digress....)

Homespun 03-30-2018 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8031221)
Well, this is interesting.

Several years ago, hubby dropped a gel pen on a cotton dress shirt and it wicked up an awful stain about 2-3 inches in diameter. I tried everything and I mean everything to get that stain out. Finally turned to the internet for help. In my research I found several law enforcement sites that recommended you write checks with gel ink, because criminals can't bleach the ink out. (My first thought was who writes checks anymore, and my second thought was bleaching checks seems like a lot of work to do, especially when there are so many easier ways to defraud victims, but I digress....)

this gave me a few chuckles!!!

Charleen DiSante 03-31-2018 04:12 AM

I have used micron pens and have seen the labels later and they seem to be ok. Sometimes I will use my ink-jet printer on the printable fabrics and they seem ok too. On these I have added a design from clipart or another place on line that mimicked one of the fabrics for example a giraffe when I had giraffe fabric in the quilt. As far as I know, they have remained but you got me to thinking with the gel pen story Peckish.

meanmom 03-31-2018 04:33 AM

The gel pens sound interesting. I assume different brand have different kinds of ink. You would probably have to try different brands. I might have to try this.

Sandy 03-31-2018 04:54 AM

Hi! I have always used 'jelly roll' gel pens for writing on my quilt labels. After writing the label I then heat set the ink with the hottest iron temp which seems to set the ink pretty well. So far I have not had an issue with the ink washing out. With that said, all gel pens are not created equal.....some do wash out even after heat setting. I would suggest you make a test piece of fabric using your various gel pens, heat set them, then toss in the washer and see what it looks like after washing. I hope this helps.

carolynjo 03-31-2018 05:26 AM

My go-to pens are Micron pens, heat set. The labels seem to last okay.

ptquilts 03-31-2018 05:44 AM

I use Pigma Micron pens to make labels. I have a set in different colors if I want to get fancy.