Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a quilt with satin.. lol.HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilt-satin-lol-help-t43104.html)

mrsalshhadeh 04-18-2010 09:02 AM

I am making a quilt out of satin, and I was wondering what I should use to make the satin not rip their seams. I have made 2 pilows, and after about a month, you could see the seams start to fray. If anyone has suggestions, I am more than happy to hear them!!! :lol:

amma 04-18-2010 09:11 AM

Serge the seams? Use an over cast stitch on the seam edges after you sew each seam?
When you get ready to quilt, quilt 1/8" from the seam lines (on top of the seam so that you are reinforcing it again)
Fray check all of the edges?

Satin scares me :lol:

Maride 04-18-2010 09:20 AM

If you quilt it heavily it should hold well. I have used silk only on quilts that will never be washed. On my biggest one I did a top stitch about 1/8" away from the seam holding the folded seams together. It has not frayed and it is almost ten years old.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-18-2010 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Serge the seams? Use an over cast stitch on the seam edges after you sew each seam?
When you get ready to quilt, quilt 1/8" from the seam lines (on top of the seam so that you are reinforcing it again)
Fray check all of the edges?

Satin scares me :lol:

scares me too, good luck

Sharon321 04-18-2010 10:11 AM

How about using fusible interfacing on the back of the satin before sewing?

Moonpi 04-18-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon321
How about using fusible interfacing on the back of the satin before sewing?

That was my first thought, too. And make sure you have a sharp new needle. I think if it is getting used as a bed quilt, fray-check may not be enough.

craftybear 04-18-2010 01:21 PM

have fun and post a photo!

littlehud 04-18-2010 09:03 PM

I'm not brave enough to try satin. I bet it will be pretty though. Share pics when you get done.

aussiequilter 04-18-2010 09:24 PM

I have quite a deal of water-marked taffeta, or I think they call it moire taffeta, which used to be a full circle skirt and matching blouse in about 1970. The skirt and blouse were obviously way out of date but the fabrice was too good to just discard, so I unpicked it all with a view to making a crazy quilt with it. It's soft peach, cream, soft taupe and olive green colours and really very pretty.

But that's as far as I got. I too was concerned about fraying and pin holes in the fabric, so I just haven't gone anything further with it and it's resting in my too-hard basket.

I am following with interest what clues are out there for dealing with such fabric and say thanks in advance to anyone with solutions.

Halo 04-18-2010 10:03 PM

I have been lurking in the background for a while & decided to jump in on this topic. I have worked with satin & silk & found that I have the best of luck by using a french seam. That helps with the fraying & makes the seams stronger. Although, using these fabrics in a quilt would be best putting a stablizer on the back of it.

Halo