Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a quilting log or binder? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-quilting-log-binder-t18469.html)

pittsburgpam 04-02-2009 01:54 PM

I think I have seen this somewhere about keeping records of your quilts. I’m going to start a binder of all my quilts. In it I’m going to put any hand or computer drawings, swatches of material, notes and thoughts, pictures, anything that goes on while planning or making it. If I had something like this from my grandmother or g-grandmother I would treasure it! Maybe someday one of mine will.

Not only that but if one is stolen or misplaced you have information on it.

Like so many people I end up giving them all away and may not see them again.

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 01:58 PM

It's a good idea!

I have a quilt journal.... with a printed picture of the quilt and my notes on how it was done, any techniques I picked up, mistakes, who it was for, date started and finished, etc.

I started it because I found I was forgetting quilts I'd made and given away, and because I wanted a record of the "story" behind some of the more special ones.

Piedmont Quilter 04-02-2009 04:05 PM

Great Idea - this could turn into another hobby ~ scrapbooking!! lol

Piedmont Quilter

pittsburgpam 04-02-2009 04:35 PM

Oh no! I don't need another hobby! :shock:

littlehud 04-02-2009 05:56 PM

What a great idea. I need to start one.

Cookn 04-03-2009 04:23 AM

I keep a binder of everything quilting. It's a quilt planner, an idea book, my shopping lists, anything and everything to do with our quilting addiction.

A quilt is in the book from conception to finish. I've got quilts that haven't even been started, quilts that are half way finished waiting for more inspiration, swatches of fabric for the quilt.

It's really handy when you live 50 miles from the closest shop and you happen on a LQS. We have an old Bernina bag that stays by the door and when we leave to go off somewhere it gets thrown in the Jeep. It really helps keep you on track.

Machel 04-03-2009 04:38 AM

I have one also, now the hard part since I started quilting 19 years ago I am trying to get the receipents to take pictures of the quilts to add to my log. So far so good. A great idea to pass down or keep track for the future generations.

pittsburgpam 04-03-2009 06:12 AM

I've seen "quilt journal" I just didn't connect it to something I would actually want to do. :lol: It sounded like a diary to me.

Now a binder with pockets and fabric and computer printouts, articles and pictures, that is something I would like to do.

I'll get a BIG binder at work today. They are all over the place and sometimes there are emails sent out for people to take them. I'll just have to walk the floors (7 stories) and look around. I'm usually all over the building every day anyway, that's how I get my exercise. I administer the telephone and voicemail systems and since there are telephones everywhere to fix, install, etc...

Mousie 04-03-2009 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Cookn
I keep a binder of everything quilting. It's a quilt planner, an idea book, my shopping lists, anything and everything to do with our quilting addiction.

A quilt is in the book from conception to finish. I've got quilts that haven't even been started, quilts that are half way finished waiting for more inspiration, swatches of fabric for the quilt.

It's really handy when you live 50 miles from the closest shop and you happen on a LQS. We have an old Bernina bag that stays by the door and when we leave to go off somewhere it gets thrown in the Jeep. It really helps keep you on track.

Oh my gosh, Cookn, you sound so much like me....is that good? lol!
I keep records of everything, pics, and I have a special nylon tote, strong enough to hold my books, notebooks with paper, graph paper, pens, etc. hangs on my dining r. chair, to snatch up, the minute i am going more than 8 miles from home. I'm like a smoker, can't be gone without my addiction paraphenalia!!! Away from home...I study, floor tiles, wall paper, magazines, ads, packaging,...inspirations for quilt blocks or color combo's are everywhere...and if I don't draw or write down, right then,...I would not remember later. :P

jdavis 04-03-2009 07:41 AM

I haven't been quilting that long, but I found that I needed a better idea of how much money I had in a project. I made my own "expense report form" with lines for everything from the pattern or book, right down to the notions. I keep receipts in an envelope stapled to the back of the form, and keep all the forms in a folder. I may never get to the point of having a quilt appraised, but if/when that happens, my records should help.