Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making a scrap quilt - question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-scrap-quilt-question-t127676.html)

DebQuilter50 06-03-2011 03:14 AM

I think I would like my next quilt to look like a scrap quilt.

I know that scrap quilts are made from scraps (sometimes I amaze myself ;) , but do you put certain colors in certain areas?

I have seen some scrap quilts that I really love, and the colors don't seem quite right on others.

Need advice and direction.

quilticing 06-03-2011 03:17 AM

Make it as random and varied as possible. If you like your fabrics, you'll like the quilt. Some scrappies look a little dull, I think, because there's no yellows. They need a little sunshine.

deedum 06-03-2011 03:18 AM

Hi central Illinois DebQuilter50, I am from central Illinois and a Deb too! I just usually sew my scraps together! I use a design wall and that helps. You can move around your blocks or strips to make sure the colors work, but generally it all goes together well. My HO opinion, we will see what everyone else say. Too me that is the beauty of a scrappie!

GRANNYMO 06-03-2011 03:28 AM

Hi,I am also from central IL. I thought anything goes with scrappy quilts. It is whatever you like

Scrap Happy 06-03-2011 03:41 AM

I love scrap quilts! You could make it as random as you like. Some quilters just grab fabrics without looking and sew with beautiful results. If they pick a color that will sit next to the same color they just grab another color.

Or you could pick one fabric to add, say for your sashing or a center block and it calms the quilt down. If you use purple for example as a sashing color and a different purple in your blocks remember that if the purples touch they will blend in together. But if you put the purple in the block towards the center of the block and they don’t touch this doesn’t happen. Hope this makes sense.

Personally, I like the results of both methods. It’s all about what YOU like for YOUR quilt :P

patchsamkim 06-03-2011 03:42 AM

Just about anything goes in a scrap quilt...I have even seen people mix in some pretty bright colors with duller ones and that works, or people will use more controlled scrap colors, all sort of within the same tones...as long as there is something to tie it all together, it should work. They are so much fun to make, and to look at! Go for it!

ranger 06-03-2011 03:48 AM

I LOVE scrap quilts.

I just grab pieces and sew. I think the main thing is to have a variety of lights, mediums and darks. And as quilticing said, splashes of yellow really add brightness.

yellowsnow55 06-03-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by ranger
I LOVE scrap quilts.

I just grab pieces and sew. I think the main thing is to have a variety of lights, mediums and darks. And as quilticing said, splashes of yellow really add brightness.

Yes, I was going to say the same thing, but ranger beat me to it. :thumbup:

JulieTN 06-03-2011 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by quilticing
Make it as random and varied as possible. If you like your fabrics, you'll like the quilt. Some scrappies look a little dull, I think, because there's no yellows. They need a little sunshine.

BEST advice! Throw all colors into it, wowowow,....!
Julie

mic-pa 06-03-2011 03:53 AM

Go to www.quiltville.com and you will get lots of ideas. I have use bonnie Hunters idesa for several of my scrappy quilts.