Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making Your Own Ironing Board--Did you use canvas or silver ironing fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-your-own-ironing-board-did-you-use-canvas-silver-ironing-fabric-t225863.html)

AngelinaMaria 07-15-2013 06:57 AM

Making Your Own Ironing Board--Did you use canvas or silver ironing fabric?

I am getting ready to make my own custom ironing board that will fit on my kitchen island (3 feet by 4 feet). I purchased a few yards of silver ironing board fabric from Joann's but have seen on a number of blogs and "how to" videos that most people are using canvas.

Is there a reason to use one or the other? I thought the silver fabric stays cooler so you don't burn your hands as much when picking up the pressed blocks, etc.? The silver fabric I got is pretty thin though so I'm not sure if I should look for a higher quality one somewhere else. I'm thinking I'll make a small iron pad first to see how it works.

If you made your own iron board/pad, did you use one, two or more thicknesses of batting? Sharon Shamber used only one thin layer of batting for hers--she says it is best to have a hard surface. However, I saw lots of other blogs/video use 3 to even 5 layers of batting.

If I decide to use canvas, is there a particular kind I should search for (or quality type)?? Thanks.

Scissor Queen 07-15-2013 07:32 AM

I have taken a couple of classes from nationally known teachers and they all say to take that silver stuff off your ironing board because it's slippery. I have cotton duck on my board and it grips nicely so I don't get distortion when I press. It has one layer of a felted type cotton padding that's not much thicker than one layer of cotton batting.

quilts4charity 07-15-2013 07:38 AM

I covered mine with the silver stuff but I cover that with an old sheet so I can take it off and wash it when it gets stiff from all the starch I use, been working good for about 5 years now. I tie a piece of elastic around the sheet on the table to hold it in place.

thimblebug6000 07-15-2013 07:45 AM

I put one layer of warm & natural and then one layer of the insulbrite and then topped it with a heavy cotton twill for my "big board" and it works great. Mine is all stapled onto a sheet of plywood & sits over my regular ironing board. IF the top gets too discoloured, I will just add another layer of the cotton twill. I don't like a really soft surface to iron on and this is perfect for me. Good luck with yours!

Prism99 07-15-2013 08:18 AM

I used a layer of Warm n Natural and covered that with duck cloth (unwashed). Mine is stapled on; I would not use duck cloth if you are making a cover that will be taken off and washed.

I think Sharon Schamber is correct and a hard surface works better for quilting. You can get the seams flatter. Cushioning is more important for embroidery.

Jan in VA 07-15-2013 08:26 AM

Thin plywood 38" x 28".
Covered with plastic garbage bag - one layer.
One layer Warm and Natural batting.
One layer silver ironing board fabric.

Tartan 07-15-2013 08:28 AM

I have one layer of cotton batt over plywood. I covered it with good quality muslin but I need to replace it. I have ironed so much on the surface that the fabric is brown and cracking off. I have used freezer paper ironed to my surface to extend the use and that works well. If you already have the silver stuff, I would use it. You can always replace it later if you don't like it.

omaluvs2quilt 07-15-2013 08:28 AM

My mom used the silver stuff and its now lifting off onto her fabric when she starches. I used the canvas with 1 layer of 100% cotton batting and it works great! It does grip your blocks to help cut down on distortion while pressing.

maminstl 07-15-2013 08:58 AM

I used 2 layers of warm and natural - and made a pillowcase out of cotton duck that fits snugly, but can be taken off and washed if I want - I just did it with a 2x2 piece of underlayment - not too big, but big enough .

leatheflea 07-15-2013 12:05 PM

plywood, cotton batting, and canvas on mine.