Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   MAKING YOUR OWN TEMPLATES (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-your-own-templates-t159290.html)

suebee 10-09-2011 05:41 PM

Does anyone make their own templates (out of template plastic)? You can buy it at Joann's etc.. what Im curious about is does anyone have one of those stencil/template cutter things, kinda looks like a soldering iron..and if you have one, how do you like it? simple to use??

bearisgray 10-09-2011 05:43 PM

I've made my own templates.

If they have straight edges, I use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut them.

If they have curved edges, I cut them out with a scissors.

Don't have a template cutter, so can't offer any comments about them.

jaciqltznok 10-09-2011 05:46 PM

you do better with an exacto knife!

RenaB 10-09-2011 06:00 PM

I make my own using either rotary cutter, scissors, or exacto. Often thought of the template cutting tool but never took the plunge to try one.

jdiane318 10-09-2011 06:29 PM

I have had my template/stencil tool for close to 30 years. In that time, it has been wonderful to make special/one of a kind stencils for friends and families. It has allowed to create unique designs that can't be purchased. I don't use it as much now as I have in the past but it has been well worth the investment and doesn't owe me a dime should it quit.

ChaiQuilter 10-09-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I've made my own templates.

If they have straight edges, I use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut them.

If they have curved edges, I cut them out with a scissors.

Don't have a template cutter, so can't offer any comments about them.

Do you use your rotary cutter with the templates you make? I find they are thin and dangerous to use with the rotary. Any advice would be appreciated!

suebee 10-09-2011 07:55 PM

Thats great. Im going to keep my eye peeled for a good price on one. I wonder if harbor freight might have one.. will have to check that out.

Originally Posted by jdiane318
I have had my template/stencil tool for close to 30 years. In that time, it has been wonderful to make special/one of a kind stencils for friends and families. It has allowed to create unique designs that can't be purchased. I don't use it as much now as I have in the past but it has been well worth the investment and doesn't owe me a dime should it quit.

scowlkat 10-09-2011 08:38 PM

I use my stencil tool all the time. I also have the Clover iron with interchangeable tips and it has a stencil tip also. I use a picture frame with the glass in it and lay the plastic on top when cutting the stencil. Keeps me from burning something accidentally!

TanyaL 10-09-2011 08:43 PM

I use my stencil cutting tool and it works wonderfully. Great for making quilting stencils. I always put glass underneath it when I'm using it. I use it for stencils when I'm making them for stencil painting also.

ckcowl 10-10-2011 01:30 AM

Do you use your rotary cutter with the templates you make? I find they are thin and dangerous to use with the rotary. Any advice would be appreciated!

no you do not use your templates like they are a ruler--you are right that would be very dangerous!
you can place the template then put your ruler over it and cut- or you can trace around it (normal template use) then line your ruler up on the lines and cut- or trace around your template and use scissors to cut out your pieces.