Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Managing my needle's thread question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/managing-my-needles-thread-question-t269837.html)

sewbizgirl 09-10-2015 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 7313356)
How are you loading the needle from the spool? Try doing it opposite and see if that helps. Might have something to do with the thread's twist. What I mean is, thread the needle from the other end of your thread to see if it helps.

The twist is the same from either end.

DebraK 09-10-2015 03:30 PM

oops, another theory shot ;-) I notice a difference when I do binding.

Kitsie 09-10-2015 05:22 PM

How are you loading the needle from the spool? Try doing it opposite and see if that helps. Might have something to do with the thread's twist. What I mean is, thread the needle from the other end of your thread to see if it helps.

I used to think (swear that) it didn't matter either! But I tried it and it does!!

Onebyone 09-11-2015 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 7313621)
I used to think (swear that) it didn't matter either! But I tried it and it does!!

Some brand of threads it makes a difference, some no difference at all. I wet my thread, run it through a wet sponge, if I have trouble with twisting. I read somewhere it kept the thread flat.

grann of 6 09-12-2015 04:24 AM

I was watching a sewing show one time about hand sewing. It may even have been on Alex Anderson's show. But they said when threading a hand sewing needle, thread the needle before you cut the thread off the spool. That way you will ALWAYS thread the needle in the right direction. There is a direction to the way thread is wound, I assume this applies mainly to thread meant for hand quilting. I tried this when trying some needle-turn, and by golly it worked. I have never forgotten that rule

himnherr 09-12-2015 04:27 AM

I took my first class ever recently. It was needle turn applique. This was the first thing I learned in it. I agree with DebraK, thread needle from other end of thread.

sherryl1 09-12-2015 04:51 AM

I would try knotting the other end of your thread. Try knotting the end of the thread you just cut. If that doesn't work better ,knot the end that is already cut and not the end you just cut. Does that make sense? I read it has to do with being right-handed or left-handed. I would also use thread heaven. The directions are on the package. Let me know if this works for you.
Thanks, Sherryl

dd 09-12-2015 04:56 AM

I was always taught to knot the end you cut and that has always worked for me. But, when I started hand applique using silk thread, I found I needed to knot the opposite end. I had less twisting and knotting doing this. I also kind of roll the needle between my finger every couple stitches to avoid the twisting and that helps avoid the knotting.

meanmom 09-12-2015 05:00 AM

I watched a show once where they said if your thread is knotting on you to load your needle from the other end. They said which way to take it off the spool and which end to knot but I never remember which way. It seems to help. Also I was just told to try running you thread thru a new fabric softener sheet a couple of time to prevent knotting. It is supposed to work similar to Thread Heaven.

Texas_Sue 09-12-2015 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by dray965 (Post 7313288)
As I'm working on my needle-turn applique, my thread constantly tangles. I have to stop a lot and untangle the mess. Any ideas on what to do to stop that problem?

Thanks in advance,
Dray

I use thread heaven also, but you can use bees wax as well - should help with the tangling. Good luck.

Susan