Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mark 1/4" for hand piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mark-1-4-hand-piecing-t218743.html)

IQ2 04-10-2013 06:45 AM

Mark 1/4" for hand piecing?

Hello y'all. I've just recently discovered the unbelievably wonderful Scrappy Quilt Show thread. I've gone through about 100 pages of it so far, and I'm very motivated to start using the 2" squares I've been accumulating for the past few months. I'd like to make it a hand-piecing carry-along project, but would appreciate advice from you Hand-Piecers on whether you mark the 1/4" allowance for your seams when sewing together those tiny pieces, and if you do what's a good carry-along method for doing it? Thanks for any help you can provide.

I just want to add that I think this board is so terrific. I'm a fairly new quilter but I've started to bring lots of new ideas that I've learned here to my quilting group at home. (e.g., just did the board sandwiching method, and ready to try Elmer's)

janedee 04-10-2013 06:52 AM

In the past I have used 1/4" masking tape if thats any help

IQ2 04-10-2013 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by janedee (Post 5990924)
In the past I have used 1/4" masking tape if thats any help

Thanks, Janedee. That sounds like a great way to do it especially if sitting in a car or a waiting room. Do you keep reusing the same piece? Have you worked on such little pieces?

janedee 04-10-2013 07:02 AM

Yes you can reuse the same piece several times, it will loose its stickyness, like you I did 2" squares to start with, all scrappy, I made them into blocks using 12 squares across and down as I wasn't sure if I was going to break up the blocks with sashing, in the end I just joined them all together, came in very handy when I had to sit around waiting for my daughters doing there various activities and of course travelling in the car - hope you have fun with it

Tartan 04-10-2013 07:05 AM

​Many like to do English Paper piecing hexagons as a take along protect.

OCquilter 04-10-2013 07:09 AM

I usually try to mark them using a small ruler. It makes an accurate seam so much easier especially while riding in a car.

JulieR 04-10-2013 07:37 AM

I do usually mark them. I just carve out a block of time to do a lot of it at once so I don't have to do it again for a while. :)

IQ2 04-10-2013 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by janedee (Post 5990954)
Yes you can reuse the same piece several times, it will loose its stickyness, like you I did 2" squares to start with, all scrappy, I made them into blocks using 12 squares across and down as I wasn't sure if I was going to break up the blocks with sashing, in the end I just joined them all together, came in very handy when I had to sit around waiting for my daughters doing there various activities and of course travelling in the car - hope you have fun with it

Thanks again--yes...GREAT way to spend "wasted" time. :)

IQ2 04-10-2013 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by OCquilter (Post 5990974)
I usually try to mark them using a small ruler. It makes an accurate seam so much easier especially while riding in a car.

I kind of thought that was the case. Thanks for your reply.

IQ2 04-10-2013 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR (Post 5991032)
I do usually mark them. I just carve out a block of time to do a lot of it at once so I don't have to do it again for a while. :)

That's a good idea, too. Thanks.