Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In the market for a cutting board.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/market-cutting-board-t35328.html)

ToucanSam 01-28-2010 08:38 AM

and want to get a very good one.

Which ones do you like and where did you get them? Thanks!

Boston1954 01-28-2010 08:47 AM

I had one by June Tailor for many years. Just recently gave it to the church. (I am left-handed and it got used a lot on that side) I figured they could use it for the right-handers.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 01-28-2010 09:49 AM

I know nothing of brands and quality but I do know you want one bigger than mine. Mine is 12 x 18 and it is so small it can be a pain.

BellaBoo 01-28-2010 10:24 AM

I have all the brands in one size or another. I like June Taylor the best, the rotary cutter doesn't cut into the mat, it rolls on top of it. But the JT mat has awkward sizes. The bigger Fiskars or Olfa mats fits better on top of a table. Do not put it in a car seat or stand it up in the floorboard to bring it home from the store. It has to be flat at all times. Lay the mat on a flat surface before you buy it. One little wave and it's there forever. JT mats do not warp so I leave one in the trunk of my car for classes/workshops. It's been four years in the trunk and still flat as new.

shaverg 01-28-2010 10:52 AM

There is good and bad with all. I realized the June taylor was harder and dulling my blades quicker. I prefer Olfa self healing, my blades are lasting twice a long. I also have an old dritz that is self healing I like, because it is blue and can see better when cutting. The thing I don't like about the Olfa is the color, the green makes it really hard to see. I wish they made them in yellow.

But BellaBoo, likes her June Taylor, I will say I did like the color of the June taylor. It is really personal preference. Also I have the great big white mat from JoAnns that covers my cutting table, it is less expensive than Olfa.

amma 01-28-2010 11:40 AM

I have used my blue June Taylor mat for over 3 years now...it is worn and needs replacing. These are not reversible... Olfa and some of the others are and for twice the price you get two sides. I do go through blades quicker, and I know it is due to the harder surface but I love the color and it is very easy to work with...

I also like that I can store it easier than the other brands, without worrying about it warping...it is just as flat today as the day I brought it home.

My next mat is going to be bigger than this one and I am very tempted to stick with this brand :wink: :D:D:D

Jim's Gem 01-28-2010 11:42 AM

I have a blue Duraheal Mat that I really like. It is my 2nd or 3rd in the last 12 years. I got it at JoAnns with a 50% coupon.

BellaBoo 01-28-2010 12:11 PM

For transporting often, get the June Taylor mat. For home use get the biggest mat you can afford.

ToucanSam 01-28-2010 12:45 PM

I found a Fiskars 24 x 30 at Wal-Mart today. I did see the June Tailor mats but they were not as large. I went for the Fiskars. Hope I like it!

craftybear 01-28-2010 07:08 PM

I have different ones, will need to see the brand names. I have a big one for my big cutting table. If you can afford a bigger one that is great. Just be sure to keep them laying flat. One time my hubby and I was organizing my room and he laid it on its edge. Scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got it flat again with tons of books on it.

He learned his lesson and not to mess with my mats again. Ha Ha

Karen