Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking with Pounce - Suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-pounce-suggestions-t31880.html)

jljack 12-18-2009 03:10 PM

I have 2 different pounce pads - one white and one blue- for marking quilts for quilting. I also have several stencils. I have tried and tried to get the chalk to saturate the pounce pad enough so that it is easy to use the stencils...but I just can't seem to get it to work. It's really difficult to get the chalk to come out enough to make clear marks.

Any suggestions? I saw a video once that said to really smack it hard inside a bag, and then throw that bag away. I tried it, but can't seem to get enough chalk into the pad. I know I must not know enough to do it right...hopefully that's all the problem is!!

amma 12-18-2009 03:19 PM

the video I seen had you smack it multiple times to prime it... Did your chalk draw some dampness?

Tiffany 12-18-2009 03:22 PM

Living in Bakersfield you may have that very problem Amma mentioned - dampness. I used to live in Ridgecrest and had family living in Bakersfield so I went often and I know it can get very humid there. Is there a way to check the chalk inside the pounce pad and see if it is still silty and at the right texture?

amma 12-18-2009 03:35 PM

At times we get so humid that my disappearing ink pen doesn't stay showing for 10 minutes LOL

jljack 12-18-2009 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by amma
the video I seen had you smack it multiple times to prime it... Did your chalk draw some dampness?

Hummmm---actually I don't really think humidity is my problem....we are extremely dry this year. What chalk I do get out seems the right texture, just not enough. They were brand new when I got them, so maybe I haven't really pounded on them enough. I have plenty of chalk, so maybe I'll so pound my pouncers to see if it helps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jljack 12-18-2009 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Living in Bakersfield you may have that very problem Amma mentioned - dampness. I used to live in Ridgecrest and had family living in Bakersfield so I went often and I know it can get very humid there. Is there a way to check the chalk inside the pounce pad and see if it is still silty and at the right texture?

I have to tell you...my DH lived in Ridgecrest before we got married, and then moved to Bakersfield with me. He complained of it feeling humid to him for about two years, till he got used to it. Me, I came from L.A. and moved to Bakersfield because it's drier and helps my sinuses. Go figure!!

granny216 12-19-2009 03:36 AM

I really like Pounce. I use the white on all my dark fabrics and it is great and washes out real nice. I do not overfill the pounce with chalk and never ever had a problem from day 1. Fill it and then bounce it a few times on another piece of fabric until it works well...I never tried other colors. I use the wash out marking pens on my light colors and it is more time consuming.

Nita 12-19-2009 05:05 AM

While I am not real crazy about the product, I do have 2 Pounce pads, white and grey. A hint I received was to lightly "mist" the fabric with water before applying the design. This helps the chalk cling to the fabric when you are applying it and also cuts down on the tendancy that the chalk has to bounce off the fabric from the vibration of sewing. Still, I find that I can only mark a small area at a time. Also, please be sure to pre test your fabric with the blue chalk before you use it. The blue chalk does not always wash out!!! For light fabrics you are safer using the grey color. I hope this helps. Good luck.

LindaR 12-19-2009 05:52 AM

I've never tried the pounce...I have a draw full of marking pens that don't work...such a waste of money, tried 3 last night and don't know if they are dry or what...makes me mad

brushandthimble 12-19-2009 06:25 AM

instead of pouncing on the fabric drag it lightly across the stencil, after misting the fabric.
To make the blue easier to remove mix it with 2/3 of cheap talc powder before putting it in the pounce pad.