Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking a quilt for QAYG (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-quilt-qayg-t137678.html)

patience 07-14-2011 05:31 PM

I would like some advice on which is the best way to mark a quilt top for quilt as you go. I like to keep my stitching with me while I travel and have tried various markers that fade out too soon.
I am making multi colored blocks so I need something that will show. Is quilters chalk a good one? Does it rub off too quickly?
Any advice is helpful
thanks
P.

purplemem 07-14-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by patience
I would like some advice on which is the best way to mark a quilt top for quilt as you go. I like to keep my stitching with me while I travel and have tried various markers that fade out too soon.
I am making multi colored blocks so I need something that will show. Is quilters chalk a good one? Does it rub off too quickly?
Any advice is helpful
thanks
P.

You can use crayola washable markers but be SURE to test them before you use them. I have had a problem with one staying on the fabric as a brown shadow, light, but I knew it was there. Unfortunately, I don't remember which color it was...so try them each on fabric that you will be using.

Also, I have marked lightly with a fine point mechanical pencil. This is erasable with a fabric eraser. Use the 7mm lead, it is the lightest.

A sharpened sliver of soap will wash out of dark fabrics and marks well, also it doesn't just "rub" off.

nativetexan 07-14-2011 07:23 PM

I wouldn't use chalk if you are to handle the quilt a lot.
dritz wash out blue markers are good.

QuiltE 07-14-2011 07:35 PM

There's a new marker that I found while on the Shop Hop. Very fine point, like an Ultra Fine Sharpie. It's made by Pilot.

Mark onto the quilt .... and it will stay there until you use the friction eraser on the end .... or press with an iron. Instantly it disappears!!!!

Available in many different colours. They demonstrated it on white when I was there. I bought purple!

purplemem 07-14-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
There's a new marker that I found while on the Shop Hop. Very fine point, like an Ultra Fine Sharpie. It's made by Pilot.

Mark onto the quilt .... and it will stay there until you use the friction eraser on the end .... or press with an iron. Instantly it disappears!!!!

Available in many different colours. They demonstrated it on white when I was there. I bought purple!

I've seen this too, very impressive. I haven't bought one yet so I forgot about it.

Blue's quilting mama 07-14-2011 09:20 PM

I have been happy with the Frixion pen by Pilot. I touched the marks with a hot iron, and it was magical the way they disappeared. Then, we washed and dried it.

patience 07-15-2011 03:45 PM

Thank you all! I think I will look for the Frixon pen. Since I will be doing lots of scrap fabrics I am baffled about what color to use.
Which leads me to ask, do you mark on the back of your quilt or the front?

QuiltE 07-16-2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Blue's quilting mama
I have been happy with the Frixion pen by Pilot. I touched the marks with a hot iron, and it was magical the way they disappeared. Then, we washed and dried it.

That's the name ... Frixion!

What colour did you use? Have you tried one of the light/brights on a dark fabric? I should have bought one of those, as I find darks the hardest thing to mark.

For all ... It has a small "eraser" on the end, that you can use to rub off (ie friction) the markings as well. Though much easier to just take it to the ironing board IMHO!