Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-quilt-top-t155932.html)

teddysmom 09-26-2011 06:31 AM

I'm a hand quilter. Should I mark my stencils on the top before or after I sandwich?

Granny Quilter 09-26-2011 06:37 AM

If using chalk pencil, they rub off, so I did only what fit in my hoop at a time.

Dianemarie 09-26-2011 06:45 AM

what are you using to mark with ? I am getting ready to quilt my grandaughters sunbonnet sue and am afraid to use something that will damage or not come off ? I'm doing a cross - hatch behind the girls so its alot of lines crossing ? Any suggestions ?
What are you using ?

teddysmom 09-26-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
what are you using to mark with ? I am getting ready to quilt my grandaughters sunbonnet sue and am afraid to use something that will damage or not come off ? I'm doing a cross - hatch behind the girls so its alot of lines crossing ? Any suggestions ?
What are you using ?

I use the blue marking pen. It comes off with water. But don't iron over the blue because the heat will set the color. Wash the quilt in cold water only when you finish.

Sneed 09-26-2011 07:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I use the water soluble blue marking pen, and have always been able to get the marking out. I agree...do NOT iron over the marks.

I have done alot of hand quilting and feel strongly that my next one will be marked BEFORE sandwiching. My reasoning is that with some designs you have to be absolutely sure that everything is going to meet up as you go around.

If no stencil, but a drawing, use a light box and trace on before sandwiching. No need to spend a fortune on a light box either. Mine consists of a cardboard box, a flashlight and a piece of plexiglass on top. I may have to improve on this set up some day.

If using a stencil on each block it could be done fine after sandwiching as you go along. Good luck.

Hand quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]262501[/ATTACH]

teddysmom 09-26-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sneed
I use the water soluble blue marking pen, and have always been able to get the marking out. I agree...do NOT iron over the marks.

I have done alot of hand quilting and feel strongly that my next one will be marked BEFORE sandwiching. My reasoning is that with some designs you have to be absolutely sure that everything is going to meet up as you go around.

If no stencil, but a drawing, use a light box and trace on before sandwiching. No need to spend a fortune on a light box either. Mine consists of a cardboard box, a flashlight and a piece of plexiglass on top. I may have to improve on this set up some day.

If using a stencil on each block it could be done fine after sandwiching as you go along. Good luck.

Thanks. I tried marking after sandwiching and I ran into the same problem. Thought I had done something wrong but it makes sense to mark before sandwiching. I'll do that on my next quilt.

Barb44 09-26-2011 07:54 AM

I always mark before sandwiching. It is much easier to get the lines precise. I find it hard to mark on something soft. I use the blue marking pens also. They always wash out.

CAS49OR 09-26-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dianemarie
What are you using ?

I'm not making anything now, but have found the Pilot Frixion pen marks disappear when you iron over them.

quilter68 09-26-2011 10:14 AM

Sneed,
That is a beautiful quilt and quilting.

NJ Quilter 09-26-2011 10:56 AM

I use a #2 mechanical pencil almost exclusively. I've never had an issue with the marks not washing out. I use warm water; regular detergent; perm. press cycle; toss in the dryer till completely dry. There are some color fabrics that the lines don't show up on. As others have said, when to mark depends on the type of design you are using. I generally mark after sandwiching but I use a lap desk under the quilt when I do.