Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   marking quilt tops for hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-quilt-tops-hand-quilting-t136974.html)

Camping Betty 07-12-2011 03:11 AM

how do you mark quilts for hand quilting? before putting the layers together or after? I am sewing a pre marked embroidery quilt and want to hand quilt reg quilts.

mpspeedy 07-12-2011 03:18 AM

It is much easier to mark the top if you do it before it is sandwhiched. Lay the top out on a hard surface and use stencils and markers made for marking quilts. They come in several different colors so they will show up on different colored fabrics. If you are just doing crosshatching or simple lines you can mark the quilt as you go after it is sandwhiched by using masking or painter's tape. It comes in various widths. You simply quilt on either side of the tape and move it. Line it up with the last line of stitching and quilt on the other side of the tape that has no stitching yet.

Suzi 07-12-2011 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
It is much easier to mark the top if you do it before it is sandwhiched. Lay the top out on a hard surface and use stencils and markers made for marking quilts. They come in several different colors so they will show up on different colored fabrics. If you are just doing crosshatching or simple lines you can mark the quilt as you go after it is sandwhiched by using masking or painter's tape. It comes in various widths. You simply quilt on either side of the tape and move it. Line it up with the last line of stitching and quilt on the other side of the tape that has no stitching yet.

Thank you - It never dawned on me to use the tape!!!

Hinterland 07-12-2011 03:27 AM

I usually mark as I go along. I use chalk and colored pencils and most of the time my marks would be gone if I marked before I started.

NJ Quilter 07-12-2011 04:12 AM

I've marked before and as I go. Depending on the marking tool you're using you may need to mark as you go as the chalk-type markers have a tendency to wear off as you are working on the quilt. As long as you have a hard surface, it is possible to mark after it's sandwiched.

humbird 07-12-2011 04:23 AM

I mark as I quilt, while in the frame. Not sure it would work that way if you are lap quilting.

StitchinJoy 07-12-2011 04:25 AM

I mark before layering most of the time. I like General's grey or white chalk pencils. I also use painter's tape for marking straight lines.

frarose 07-12-2011 05:05 AM

Painters tape is a great idea. I have never used it for marking.

roselady 07-12-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
I mark before layering most of the time. I like General's grey or white chalk pencils. I also use painter's tape for marking straight lines.

They don't rub off by the time you get to the end of the quilt?

manley 07-12-2011 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy

Thanks for this information. I usually do it after but this sounds so much better for accuracy. Would not have all that bulk to worry about. :thumbup: